Obligitory smoke shots. C&C welcome

Stradawhovious

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I was bored tonight. I have done the mandtory water drops, flowers, HDR (what the hell was i thinking on that one...), and highspeed. It was time to try another that nearly everyone seems to take a shot at.

Smoke.

Well, here it is. Set up with a piece of black card stock as the background, a SB-600 from the left of the frame with a flag between the background and the flash, some cheap ****ty "dragon's blood" incense and my trusty D7000.

ISO 100
28mm Rokinon
f/8
1/125
SB-600 18" out at 1/8

DSC_4234.jpg

DSC_4277.jpg

DSC_4519.jpg

There were more, I just haven't waded through them quite yet.

Thanks!

Awesome shots. It's amazing how photography can capture beauty in literally everything.

Thanks! After going through the rest of them, This one is my favorite. Not sure why, but I really like it.

DSC_4327-1.jpg

Last edited:
Oh wow, THAT one is amazing too! These are fantastic, may give smoke shots a try as soon as I order my flash in a couple weeks.

Love the last one you added. It has a sharpness and depth that is amazing!

I like the last one also! This might sound nerdy but it reminds me so much of pictures I see in my bio book for some reason :p

Very nice. You should get bored more often. ;)

Nice shots! :D I have to agree with you--the last picture you posted is my favorite, as well.

Thanks all for the kind words!
I'm really thrilled at how these turned out, and it was a really great experiment in OCF for me. I also got to use that Rokinon 28mm prime lens for the first time. I bought it a month ago, and it just sat in my bag collecting dust until yesterday. As it turns out it's a pretty sharp little buggar (especially for the pirce of $30!) and I will have to get it out more often.

I learned some with this one, and the way I see it if you go through the whole day without learning something, you might as well have just stayed in bed.

add some color to make them pop.

Good job though.

Thanks! After going through the rest of them, This one is my favorite. Not sure why, but I really like it.

DSC_4327-1.jpg

I can see why!! It really has its own little personality.... and having it off center really helps as well. Nice shot :)

Good job though.

Nice start!! But like he said.......add some color to make them more interesting. Think outside the box now that you have the hang of it. Get creative!!

Good job though.

Nice start!! But like he said.......add some color to make them more interesting. Think outside the box now that you have the hang of it. Get creative!!

Good advice.

I was playing around with color last night, but don't have any suitable gels. I ended up shooting through translucent, colored, plastic school folders that the kids had lying around. Not the colors I wanted, even when tweaking the white balance a bit. They all turned out the same pale hue of "blech" (yeah, its a color. Look it up.). I'm hopefully picking some up soon and will do it all over again. Yeah, I could do it PP, but would rather spend more time behind that camera than behind the computer.

Even so, I'm leaving that last one alone. I think its dead sexy just the way it is. :)

Last edited:
Add the color in post processing silly goose!
It doesn't take long at all.

1. Creat new layer
2. Apply gradient
3. Adjust gradient
4. Adjust translucence
5. ...
6. PROFIT!

Most reactions

Back