What's new

Ocean Grove Pier

FireStorm

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 6, 2013
Messages
49
Reaction score
5
Location
New Jersey
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shot this one the other day in Ocean Grove, NJ. My main question: is the shadow too distracting? C&C appreciated.

$beachhh 5.webp
 
Sorry but I have seen this kind of pier image for a long time ...you need to make a new POV wait for sunrise, it just needs to be more interesting.
 
While I appreciate your input, and see where you are coming from, I can only point out that I am new to photography and am trying to learn. Sure this shot might be similar to others you have seen before, but it's new to me, and I quite enjoy it. What I would REALLY appreciate, is constructive criticism about this shot as it is... Mainly concerned with the shadow and the overall composition. Perhaps then I will be able to move forward and improve and take more creative shots with which to please you with...

Now... can anyone please offer CC on the shot at hand? I would greatly appreciate it.
 
While I appreciate your input, and see where you are coming from, I can only point out that I am new to photography and am trying to learn. Sure this shot might be similar to others you have seen before, but it's new to me, and I quite enjoy it. What I would REALLY appreciate, is constructive criticism about this shot as it is... Mainly concerned with the shadow and the overall composition. Perhaps then I will be able to move forward and improve and take more creative shots with which to please you with...

Now... can anyone please offer CC on the shot at hand? I would greatly appreciate it.

Some people can be pretty straight forward. Bottom line, it's your art. If you like it, that's all that matters.
I like the pic. Maybe higher contrast. Shoot HDR? I would interpret Mully's comment that the pic is a touch overexposed. Dial down the exposure compensation.
 
thank you! that helps a lot more, haha
 
While I appreciate your input, and see where you are coming from, I can only point out that I am new to photography and am trying to learn. Sure this shot might be similar to others you have seen before, but it's new to me, and I quite enjoy it. What I would REALLY appreciate, is constructive criticism about this shot as it is... Mainly concerned with the shadow and the overall composition. Perhaps then I will be able to move forward and improve and take more creative shots with which to please you with...

Now... can anyone please offer CC on the shot at hand? I would greatly appreciate it.

He was offering you constructive criticism. The hardest part about learning photography is learning to be extremely critical of your own work and not to take it personally when someone offers harsh critique but to take all you can from it and learn. Speaking for myself, I was nearly in tears after my first competition. I walked in with the best shot I had ever taken and they ripped it apart like an injured baby seal in the middle of a great white feeding frenzy. But in the end, they were right about the image.

Subject: good subject, piers are interesting and everyone likes them. The difficulty, they are shot a lot so there is a lot to compare to which means people can tell if an image is only mediocre.

The Shadow: Yes the shadow bothers me, you have strong vertical lines with the pier poles and you disrupt that with the subtle shadow. Might try as a high contrast black and white just to see how it looks.

What I would change: Shoot vertical comp to accent the strong lines. Tighten up for fewer poles, attempt to create depth. Then shoot around golden hour and play with different shutter speeds until you get a water look you like, perhaps wave streaks or a really long misty feel.

Good luck and keep shooting!
 
He was offering you constructive criticism. The hardest part about learning photography is learning to be extremely critical of your own work and not to take it personally when someone offers harsh critique but to take all you can from it and learn. Speaking for myself, I was nearly in tears after my first competition. I walked in with the best shot I had ever taken and they ripped it apart like an injured baby seal in the middle of a great white feeding frenzy. But in the end, they were right about the image.

When you first start out with photography, whether it be your hobby or career path, you need to sit back and take in all you can from other people. Sometimes they might tear your shots apart and you're going to feel like crap. Other times, they might like it but give you suggestions on how to improve the shot. That is the point of constructive criticism. You're not going to learn how to fix your mistakes if you don't ask the questions. If someone is harsh with their critique, most likely, they are right and are trying to help you out.

I've been doing photography for about 12 years now. Started out as a hobby back in high school when I was on the newspaper team, but now it is my career. I wouldn't have gotten where I am now if I didn't ask for constructive criticism and learned from my mistakes or what I learned from being on the job. I still come on here and ask for a critique on some shots because in all honesty, there is no way to know everything there is to know about photography. There are quite a few working professionals on this site that you can learn from, so take the time to hear them out. They're just here to help you out.

In the end, it is your shot and if you like it, then that is all that matters. It's your art, so show it off.

Sorry, not much C&C from me, but I agree with Mully. Pick a different time of day (sunrise or sunset) and see what comes out of it. You might get a better image than the one you posted. HDR might look cool too
 
He was offering you constructive criticism. The hardest part about learning photography is learning to be extremely critical of your own work and not to take it personally when someone offers harsh critique but to take all you can from it and learn.

Oh trust me, haha, I can take criticism. My first post on this forum was pretty rough! but it certainly is the best way to learn. I was looking more input like you gave me. It's very helpful! telling me my subject matter has been seen before does not help me learn composition and shadows or exposure or focus or anything that I took the picture for. I digress, though, because you're right, it was criticism, I just didn't find it too constructive. If I took this same exact shot during sunrise, all I change is the time of day I took it. But thank you for your input! it was very helpful.

I did look at it in Black and white and I didn't like it as much. I tried to capture the saturated look the jersey shore has during the winter. I think as the weather warms up I will take yours and Mully's suggestion and go during sunrise/golden hour and get a better shot.
 
The pier itself is a bit distracting at the top. Lots of bolts, brackets and boards up there that are just distracting. Focus seems a bit off, Try increasing the f stop to hit hyperfocal closer, this will also help you extend your shutter time to give the waves more of a misty feel. A different subject and a different time of day would give you a better image. Sorry, just not my fav.
 
The shadow is not distracting and adds a sense of depth and lateral movement.

The image is very busy. Lots of leading lines that lead to - nada. No clearly defined point of interest.

Horizon splits the frame in half and is not level.
Diagonal lines created by some of the tilted pilings foment a sense of upwards motion, but piers don't move.
Vertical lines foment a sense of strength, but there is little up there that needs to be supported.

Shot from a lower perspective, like right down on the sand, with a less centered horizon, and just enough off the pier's long axis center line to create more tension and drama in the shot, may have helped.

Visual image composition relies heavily on the fundamentals of design.
Shape, form, line, proportion, scale, proximity, repetition, continuity, contrast, texture, pattern, rhythm, etc, are all part of the broad range of topics discusses in design texts.


I did a quick edit. Leveled the horizon, adjusted the Curves, did some local sharpening, and boosted the mid-tone contrast:
beachhh5.jpg
 
Last edited:
Visual image composition relies heavily on the fundamentals of design.
Shape, form, line, proportion, scale, proximity, repetition, continuity, contrast, texture, pattern, rhythm, etc, are all part of the broad range of topics discusses in design texts.

I may have to start calling you Obi-Wan.

That was the single most useful and informative photo rant I have yet to witness in my time here.

OP - The shadow wasn't an issue for me so much as the lack of focus. I played around with this image and tried to figure out where on earth you were focused... I just don't see it.
 
thank you all for the input. very helpful!

@Photographiend: I TRIED to focus on the pillar in the middle, but for some reason I wasn't successful. I really have no excuse as to why, haha.
 
It's likely you used to small a lens aperture which can soften focus because of the optical aberration known as diffraction. Diffraction in Photography

Control of depth-of-field is one of the more difficult technical photography concepts to understand. For a shot like yours that you want in focus close, and all the way to the far horizon, understanding hyperfocus is helpful. Understanding Your Camera?s Hyperfocal Distance
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom