Odd views on photography

For me, being new to this all, it's quite shocking reading those various opinions people actually have about it. So I wonder if it might not be a better idea to stick to classes, books, learning material ... and keep an open and fresh mind.
It's a bit toxic to read that 'what you think is a lot of fun to learn and what can get accomplished', actually is quite boring and meaningless.

Allow me to amend your statement a bit:

It's a bit toxic to read that 'what you think is a lot of fun to learn and what can get accomplished', actually is quite boring and meaningless to some people.

The majority of people (photographers and non-photographers) appreciate nature and the beauty within it, so landscape shots are naturally appealing. Look at Trey Ratcliff, a landscape photographer on Google+.. In a matter of months he's accumulated 1.5 million followers.

Some people don't like it. Some take it as far as to lay blanket statements on the matter "landscapes are boring" and such. Just make sure you understand that is their opinion. It's just noise. Don't allow that to keep you from an open and fresh mind. I don't.

I was going to comment but I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that not everyone loves pancakes for the gifts from the gods that they are. I think maybe some people have never experienced real maple syrup.

I laughed out loud. :D

bentcountershaft said:
I was going to comment but I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that not everyone loves pancakes for the gifts from the gods that they are. I think maybe some people have never experienced real maple syrup.

Way off topic but.....I love real maple syrup. I'm from Vermont - how can I not.

The other day in the news, it was reported that some dude was selling fake maple syrup online but claiming it was Real Vermont Maple Syrup. The guy ended up selling it to a Vermonter for an astronomical amount. Whoever bought it knew it was fake so the cops set up a sting (kind of). They bought syrup from this guy and the Vermont agriculture department tested it and it was made from cane sugar. I believe he was arrested and charged with fraud and some other things. Only in Vermont would fraudulent maple syrup make the news.

Look at Trey Ratcliff, a landscape photographer on Google+.. In a matter of months he's accumulated 1.5 million followers.

Well to be fair Trey has been around for years, perhaps just not on google +. But yes he certainly is doing a popular style of landscape photography.

One thing Buckster seemingly forgot to address in his exposition about the million school portraits per year--each portrait is of an entirely different, unique individual. Not the same chit, over and over and over, ad nauseum. ANother thing--the vast majority of people who are "moved" to take landscape photos are basically just collecting cliche images on film or digital captures--just re-creating "postcard images". Basically meaningless, straightforward renditions of well known,hackneyed, shopworn locations. These peoples' time and effort would be better spent buying a postcard or two at the giftshop or tourist info center, and then striking out on their own, away from the Ansel Adams roadside attractions locations and the tourist trap landscape locations, and into the actual "landscape". But only perhaps 1 in 100 photographers does that...as seen below...same old chit, over and over and over and over and over and over....

HOrseshoe BEnd + photo - Google Search

Half Dome + photo - Google Search

Antelope Canyon slot canyon + photo - Google Search
So what? If going there and shooting that same scene makes them happy, why should that bother you or anyone else?

My second thread ever on TPF and it started infighting.
I'm sorry. ;)

I just wanted your views on an arrogant photography-police who actually said that people should not take pictures of mountains.
That is quite different from people on here saying that landscapes are boring.

OK?

My second thread ever on TPF and it started infighting.
I'm sorry. ;)

I just wanted your views on an arrogant photography-police who actually said that people should not take pictures of mountains.
That is quite different from people on here saying that landscapes are boring.

OK?

There are tons of people in this world that will tell you what you should be doing. but who cares. its there loss. arguing with them is generally pointless.

Look at Trey Ratcliff, a landscape photographer on Google+.. In a matter of months he's accumulated 1.5 million followers.

Well to be fair Trey has been around for years, perhaps just not on google +. But yes he certainly is doing a popular style of landscape photography.

Around for years, really, he has only been photographing since about 2006 not long at all.

He has been a force for HDR and is great at marketing.

Good thread!!! Lots of smoke, but not much fire. Plenty of personal insults to go around! Snarky replies, and pissy retorts!!

Now, where's that jug of GENUINE Vermont maple syrup at???

One thing Buckster seemingly forgot to address in his exposition about the million school portraits per year--each portrait is of an entirely different, unique individual. Not the same chit, over and over and over, ad nauseum. ANother thing--the vast majority of people who are "moved" to take landscape photos are basically just collecting cliche images on film or digital captures--just re-creating "postcard images". Basically meaningless, straightforward renditions of well known,hackneyed, shopworn locations. These peoples' time and effort would be better spent buying a postcard or two at the giftshop or tourist info center, and then striking out on their own, away from the Ansel Adams roadside attractions locations and the tourist trap landscape locations, and into the actual "landscape". But only perhaps 1 in 100 photographers does that...as seen below...same old chit, over and over and over and over and over and over....

HOrseshoe BEnd + photo - Google Search

Half Dome + photo - Google Search

Antelope Canyon slot canyon + photo - Google Search

I couldn't help noticing that every single one of the photos of those places which have been photographed over and over and over are different.

Even the water is a different colour in every single shot of the Horseshoe Bend.

Last edited:
I just don't understand why people get some exercised about other people's likes and dislikes and struggle both to convince everyone else how they should think and to justify what they want to take pictures of?
It's like a religious compulsion.

I expect to hear a doorbell and someone will be there with a portfolio of pictures to convince me that this is what I should be taking pictures of.

*sips coffee and glares at thread*
or would sip coffee if I liked it - it suits the mood....

Anyone got an E-Rose 5 line summary of the last 7pages?

Though if you want my take on the original post - its just one persons view on what interests them and does not interest them in a photo. Nothing more and nothing any less. If you want to take shots to interest that person by all means follow that advice, but eh I don't care nor know who that person is and they ain't paying me to shoot either so -- I'll happily let them shoot what they want to and view what they like and I'll go my way :)

Oh and I like pancakes!
(Am I safe to admit to that or am I in the pancake hating thread?)

I generally don't like ihop because it's so freaking noisy, at least during breakfast hours; but their pancakes are pretty darn good.

I also read the original thread as a guy who is just posting his theory on what he shoots and doesn't shoot. I didn't read it as him trying to impose his will on anyone. It does seem like a narrow view, but that's just as valid as a wide-open-shoot-anything view. I'd think it'd be much easier to develop a recognizable style when you narrow yourself to a small range of subject matter.

Most reactions

Back