Off camera flash - CC

ZombieQueen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First time shooting with off camera flash, was given the opportunity at an amazing workshop over the weekend. But I thought I'd share this shot, CC welcome.

Second time shooting with my Nikon D610 sporting a 50mm f/1.8G

Edit01.jpg

Very nice. My only [very minor] nit is her eyes: In general I recommend not having the model turn their head so far that it forces the iris all the way to one side; ideally there should be a bit of sclera visible on each side. Looks like a productive workshop.

Edit01llllll.jpg
very nice sharpness and color rendition.
I think the flash is reflected in her eyes, thus hurting the rendition there and her right cheek and bridge of nose are a bit over exposed.
Space to right seems extraneous and the pose a bit too off

I like the pose, but I feel like it could have been framed better. I would have preferred the extra space on the left instead of the right, and would've preferred a tight portrait crop more. I also wouldn't have minded if her far shoulder was a tad more in focus, but that's negligible.

This is nit-picking though. You did a superb job on the color rendition, and I love how sharp the face is.

I don't see anything overexposed about it. But that's just me. I think the light is nice. I don't mind her eyes the way they are, but framing is a bit awkward. Without her elbow, the arm is kind of a phantom arm. But that's coming from someone who's avatar also has a phantom arm, so take that for what it's worth :lol:

doesn't look over exposed to me either, i just dont like how low the catch-light is in her eye which is distracting.

I wanted to see how it looked as a square, and with just a tiny bit of exposure pull-back on the brightest parts of the face, and with just a tiny bit more vibrance added. Pretty good, really!

Edit01_square_vibrance.JPG

I like the gentle way the shadow falls off on the left cheek ... I've been trying to work on this myself. Also without the crop, the head looks a little too large for the shoulders. I wonder if maybe a longer lens would have helped that?

Yes, a longer lens, used from farther away, would have significantly equalized the head/shoulder size differential. Her head does appear a bit larger than it should, in relation to the size of her shoulders.

An interesting experiment for you: stand up and look at the shot with your eyes about a foot above the computer screen, looking steeply downward, from about the 1 o'clock position, again, to re-state, with your eyes about a foot above the screen--at a steep, downward angle of view.

Most reactions

Back