Off-Camera Flash On A Kiev 88cm

MJK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone. Let me begin this post with an apology. This is actually a duplicate of a thread that I already started IN THE WRONG FORUM. Doh! I'm such a noob sometimes. Anyways...

I'm looking for guidance on setting up a wireless off-camera flash setup on my Kiev 88cm. Here's what I can tell you so far:

1. I own a Phottix Odin transmitter for Canon, a Phottix Mitros+ for Canon, and a Canon 430EX II attached to a Phottix receiver. All four of these components work flawlessly together on my 5D MkIII.

2. Both speedlights fire off just fine when attached to the Kiev hotshoe.

3. I can attach a PC sync cord/hotshoe adapter to my Kiev, and both speedlights fire off just fine when attached to the hotshoe end.

4. I'm fully aware that ETTL goes out the window with the Kiev. I've set up my Odin and speedlights for manual flash power. I am also fully aware that the maximum flash sync speed on the Kiev is only 1/30 sec.

5. My Phottix Odin DOES NOT work in the Kiev's hotshoe. In fact, it doesn't even seem to fit properly, and I don't have any plans on trying to jam it in. The Odin also DOES NOT work when attached to the Kiev via PC sync cord/hotshoe adapter.

6. I tried setting up the Mitros+ as the Master on the hotshoe and the 430EX II as the slave, and that didn't work either.

I can't think of any other configurations for the gear that I have. I don't want to spend a bundle of money on new gear, because the MF film stuff is strictly for hobby work. Should I just buy a cheap universal transmitter/receiver set (Cowboy Studio/Neewer) and a Yongnuo manual power flash? Any suggestions and/or opinions are welcome.

Thanks.

Warm regards,
Michael

Sounds like the Odin is the problem. Might be worth the small price of some really cheap radio triggers to get a functioning set-up. Failing that, insulating all contacts on the Odin except the center pin might be worth a try if it will slide on.

I use CHEAP Neewer triggers with my Hasselblad. They'll work with just about anything that's got a PC sync.

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I ended up purchasing a CHEAP Cowboy Studio NPT-04 transmitter with two receivers. They'll arrive tomorrow if FedEx does what it's supposed to do. I'll post back here with the results.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back