offer/Plee

mentos_007 said:
hmm first of all Arti:
will we ba able to 1)upload our own shots to the server or 2)link them from our own servs?
If 1) do you have so big serv. for LOADS of shots?
if 2) remember that not everyone have the own account or serv.
Then... would you be able to solve the questions of hacks? coz you know that's not a problem to hack a site, what then? who will be responsible for all damages?
how would you like to host the page? only through the net? or maybe we will be able to spam mails? :)
how would we share the costs of all advertising and hosting and serv?

I'm in :)

Right ill try to answer these...but remember I dont know exactly what we have planned at the moment.

1)upload our own shots to the server or 2)link them from our own servs?

Well you will be able to upload the shots to our server through a form on the page, like most sites use...it will be simple and there will be info on the website to help you do this.

1) do you have so big serv. for LOADS of shots?

I believe we will...but at the moment Chase MAY be hosting it...so that really depends...however I will try to get some spare space.
This is a good issue and it will need to be resolved...
I may have to restrict how much is uploaded...or perhaps have graded accounts...and so people may have to pay to get a higher grade account.

2) remember that not everyone have the own account or serv

I knew this would be a problem, so thats why you wont need your own server to use this site system :)

Then... would you be able to solve the questions of hacks? coz you know that's not a problem to hack a site, what then? who will be responsible for all damages?

This would be a severe problem...but as all the people working on this will do it for free, I think we will have to say we wont be responsible..but we will do all we can to keep people from hacking/stealing images...and infact the php coder has developed a way of where its very difficult to download the image.

how would you like to host the page? only through the net? or maybe we will be able to spam mails? :)

Through the net was my thinking :)

how would we share the costs of all advertising and hosting and serv?

The server cost I am unsure about, but I will try to cover it if needed...as for all other costs and perhaps server costs, there will be a donate button that will go to the person who will code the site, and then I guess we will buy all things from him (as he has his own server and such)

I'm in

Glad tah have yah aboard!

I guess I should ask exactly what it will be that we will offer for customers to buy. Digital files? Prints? Both? Other? This is just something I think we should define early on so we know what we are working towards (and so your friend can build the php system appropriately).

Unimaxium said:
I guess I should ask exactly what it will be that we will offer for customers to buy. Digital files? Prints? Both? Other? This is just something I think we should define early on so we know what we are working towards (and so your friend can build the php system appropriately).

This I feel yet again should be defined by each photographer...I think we should offer both prints and digital files..(digital files being cheaper in my opinion) and even framed prints if wanted? where I (or someone else) could buy a range of frames and sell them seperatly.

Ive been talking...and few problems have arised that I need your help sorting.

The nature of this website is a buisness so to speak...and as im 16 I can not run an online buisness...our first snag.

Number two is payment...what method of payment is safe and how can we do it so both people defenetly get their products?

I would say paypal as far as payment methods are concerned...

Not really sure except that part of it is a trust thing...just like ebay or anything else. But doesn't paypal have a policy that if you don't get your good there are ways to get money back or something like that??? Paypal just seems the safest and most commonly used IMO...I guess there really isn't a perfect way to guarantee the products, maybe some kind of reputation/feeback thing like ebay has...

This would be a severe problem...but as all the people working on this will do it for free, I think we will have to say we wont be responsible..but we will do all we can to keep people from hacking/stealing images...and infact the php coder has developed a way of where its very difficult to download the image.
My dad is a crypto guy... he can give us some code that banks use to keep everyone from stealing their money... it's safe... trust me on that one.. hahaha
He built a bunch of Federal Credit Union/Banks online banking sites so he is good in the crypt realm.

As far as them just using the "Print Screen" button... we either have to make the pic too small for any real use or make watermarks for all of them.
Or I know there is a way to make it so if they use the print screen button or rollover the picture it turns black and that's all they can see. :mrgreen: Makes me mad when I'm trying to get some pics.:wink:

hehe sounds good....well my coder can stop the rollover thing (I know he can do loads) and he can do most things, but print screen thing will be hard to stop...although that will be the only way to get images, because he makes a gid image over the top...whic is see through.

So when they donwload it...they download the gif image...

That sounds cool that he'll be able to protect the images like that, but I think the top best way to prevent theft is to make the images so people don't want to steal them in the first place. This means basically making them small and low-quality, so that they won't have much use for whoever comes along and decides to try to use them for their own purposes. Also the application of a watermark on the image will be good, too. The issue I am thinking of with your friend's method of putting the grid image over the real photo is that while it may keep someone from dragging and dropping the image onto their desktop, it doesn't sound like it will prevent someone from going into the source code and finding the URL of the real photo and downloading it by just getting the image that way. It is a nice security measure, but I think the best way is to make it not desirable in the first place.

Of course there is always the issue of how low-quality you want to make them, since chances are that low-quality previews of the images might make potential customers reluctant to buy the full-size because they do not know how good the final print will be. But if they see a dazzling, high-quality preview, they might be more excited to get a full-size copy of it. Then again, if you do a watermark, then I guess you could make the photo a bit larger, since it will still be pretty well protected.

Unimaxium said:
That sounds cool that he'll be able to protect the images like that, but I think the top best way to prevent theft is to make the images so people don't want to steal them in the first place. This means basically making them small and low-quality, so that they won't have much use for whoever comes along and decides to try to use them for their own purposes. Also the application of a watermark on the image will be good, too. The issue I am thinking of with your friend's method of putting the grid image over the real photo is that while it may keep someone from dragging and dropping the image onto their desktop, it doesn't sound like it will prevent someone from going into the source code and finding the URL of the real photo and downloading it by just getting the image that way. It is a nice security measure, but I think the best way is to make it not desirable in the first place.

Of course there is always the issue of how low-quality you want to make them, since chances are that low-quality previews of the images might make potential customers reluctant to buy the full-size because they do not know how good the final print will be. But if they see a dazzling, high-quality preview, they might be more excited to get a full-size copy of it. Then again, if you do a watermark, then I guess you could make the photo a bit larger, since it will still be pretty well protected.

The points you make are very valid! :)

I think, for starters, we will use php coding, and itll be done in sections (cant remember the right term for it) so the banner, and main page will be trwo different bits...so when they go view --> source, they only see the banner coding, and they can have the banner image.

We will also add watermarks, to add the last bit of security.

Ive been thinking about how to do this site as im only 16...and ive come to a conclusion that is kinda...you know...not as professional.

I suggest we use Ebay, and our site will link to each ebay auction.

I will email ebay and see (I doubt it increadibly) if we can have our own little section, which will make matters easier.

Users will have to update alot of the info, but the staff will try to keep ontop too.

Thanks for everyone whos offerd suggestions, and please keep them comin!

fadingaway1986 said:
Or... Someone over 18 could be "legally" running the site/business... and you can "legally" be 2IC.

This I dont think will be possible...I thought about it...but if the site gets in trouble...they will get in trouble :S

Unimaxium said:
Just to mention... I'm going to turn 18 later this year (in September)

heh...is that an offer?

My main concern is for you though mate...if we dont make all the precasions, you could be sued, and it may cost to set up a buisness...

Hmm... that is true. Maybe there's some way we can set this up without making it officially a business. And I'm wondering what the legal differences are between US and UK (and any other country for that matter) in terms of this. Maybe it's better to officially register it in one place rather than the other. It would be useful to find out exactly what the definitions are for a business. Maybe if we do it right we can make the site without registering it as a business.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back