Offering Opinions

jaomul

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I read a lot of posts here and try to add if I can. Usually this is somewhere in the gear section as due swapping etc I quite a few different cameras and lenses. I do not comment to much on photos that require critic though. The reason is that usually others see faults or blemishes that I would not have picked up on.

Recently I commented about even lighting in a good way on a post but someone after me commented about the light being uneven and harsh. This comment received some likes and agreements afterwards.

This would imply that I was wrong (certainly not the first or last time). My question is should I (and enthusiasts like me) leave comments and advise come from the more experienced, or is everyones opinion valid?- I do suppose if one likes a photo they like it but I wouldn't want to give bad advise. Any opinions?

My question is should I (and enthusiasts like me) leave comments and advise come from the more experienced, or is everyones opinion valid?- I do suppose if one likes a photo they like it but I wouldn't want to give bad advise.

Liking (or disliking something) is a good basis for a learning process on your part. Deciding why you like something and expressing that is useful as much to you as the photographer.
Giving advice is another issue. If you express the advice in a way that you own the advice (eg, if I had taken this shot I would have ......) allows people to help you also.

The_Traveler said:
Deciding why you like something and expressing that is useful as much to you as the photographer.
Giving advice is another issue. If you express the advice in a way that you own the advice (eg, if I had taken this shot I would have ......) allows people to help you also.

I think The_Traveler has hit upon two key points. There's room for differing opinions on matters of lighting and technique.

Ever been a writers circle or small photography lesson? Chances are the teacher has the students group up and critique each others work. This is part of the learning process; its far easier to be critical and impartial of another persons work than your own (esp when you're starting). Furthermore it provides a breadth and variety of what you end up commenting upon and being exposed to which broadens your horizons.

Critiquing others work and offering advice is a great way to reinforce what you've already learned; you're not just learning and forgetting your learning and putting into active use.

Now along side that you've got opinions and facts and the two can sometimes get a little blurry between each other (esp in photography and art). My view is that the best approach is to explain your thoughts. Don't just say "its harsh/soft" Instead explain why you come to that conclusion. Explanation of your point as best you can further reinforces your own learning whilst at the same time passes on what you've learned to the others. In addition it helps explain your thought processes and can often mean that other parties can understand your viewpoint. In addition you've provided meat for discussion; if someone disagrees now they've not just got the opportunity to counter, but also put forth their own argument and reasoning.

This might end up with different opinions or it could be that you learn some new facts and gain a broader and more detailed understanding.

Most people accept well written critique - its easy to understand and even if you're giving comments in a negative light its helping to reinforce the learning process so that you're not just giving critical commentary but backing it up so that the person can (if they so choose) be more prepared to prevent those problems happening next time.

Most people accept well written critique - its easy to understand and even if you're giving comments in a negative light its helping to reinforce the learning process so that you're not just giving critical commentary but backing it up so that the person can (if they so choose) be more prepared to prevent those problems happening next time.

It is important to realize you will get the gambit of responses to a critique request. A critique does not make anything so, it's merely an opinion and as we all know, some opinions are better than others. When I receive a critique, one of the first questions I have is where is this person is coming from and try to view some of their work as a basis to validate the critique.

Ray true up to a point. Viewing the persons work helps, but I also look for a general soundness in how they explain their viewpoint. It's very easy to be superior in theory to ones ability in practice. Indeed many people can be very good at teaching a subject without necessarily being as good at the practical side themselves.

It's why explanation of a point helps a lot.

Art is subjective. Sure, there are techniques that can make your shots better, but that's not to say that everyone will like that either. I've always found that the right way of doing things from a creative perspective is your way of doing things-- to an extent. Perhaps a bad analogy, but good music is subjective to the listener's ear, but one can't make good music without first knowing how to play the instrument. I think we can all agree that an out of tune piano is not pleasing to anyone's ear. But since most of us here know to a degree how to use a camera, I think we can all create subjectively great art in one way or another. The thing that advice does for me is that it allows me to explore techniques that I do not know or understand, so that I can reproduce the great work of others and allowing me to move beyond my limitations caused by either a lack of experience or ignorance.

Opinion is one thing, "facts" are another. You stated the light was "even" and others (apparently more individuals) stated it was uneven and harsh. The light "could be" even AND harsh, but it could not be both even and uneven.
It would seem to indicate that the majority of the individuals agree that you were "wrong." But that doesn't necessarily mean they were "right." It is not a matter of "opinion," but rather a matter of "understanding."

IMO, state your opinion and if someone contradicts you try to understand "why." If you can't figure it out, then ask. If you don't do that you will simply be thinking "wtf," and not learning anything really. Providing critique is NOT only to help the one receiving the critique; it is a great way to learn how to evaluate your own images and expand your knowledge/experience.

Yes, it could lead to some "confusion" for the one receiving the critique and others reading, but that would be due to them also having a lack of experience/knowledge/understanding. And in asking the questions/sorting it out everyone learns more. In any forum it is generally pretty quickly obvious who has the greater levels of knowledge/experience/understanding so anyone who's been around very long will be able to "weigh" the responses appropriately. People who just pop in for a one post critique and never reply/follow up may be at a disadvantage, but they aren't going to get anything out of it anyway.

My view is that the best approach is to explain your thoughts. Don't just say "its harsh/soft" Instead explain why you come to that conclusion. Explanation of your point as best you can further reinforces your own learning whilst at the same time passes on what you've learned to the others. In addition it helps explain your thought processes and can often mean that other parties can understand your viewpoint.

Everyone has made good points.

Let me give a small example that occurred to me when I read Overread's post.
Typically when the response is something like 'the light is too harsh', that is really a reduction of what the original thought was, which was something like 'the shadows on that face are too sharp and too vivid and it gives a look that I don't find appealing or appropriate.'
That's clearly an opinion and when it is paired with the judgement is much more useful to you and appropriate and acceptable to the photographer.

So, a complete comment would be 'the shadows on that face are too sharp and too vivid for my taste and it gives a look that I don't find appealing or appropriate. THe lighting may be too harsh.'
Easier to understand, easier to accept.

Yep, plus its fully possible that the light will vary over the scene - the light can thus be both harsh and soft in the same photo since the different opinions come from attention being drawn to different areas of the photo.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back