Oh, Ken Rockwell...

I don't always agree with him- but I often do.

He is entertaining.

I've read a lot of K-R over the years...I kind of stopped reading his site on a regular basis a few years back, just as his love affair with Leicas got underway, and his commercialization and monetization of the site hit top gear. His newest articles now appear at an astounding pace...the older, earlier version of the site moved more slowly...it got to the point that I just could not be bothered to try and keep up with his latest and greatest, buy it her!! links, and all his rebate and refurbished deal links,etc..

In the early days of digital, back when he clung to film and vocally ridiculed raw shooting, his points of view on digital were just totally full of sh*+. Over the years, he's grown more reasonable, more flexible, but he's also become much more of a gear-pimp than he used to be. Still, he's always been like a very experienced old fisherman: somewhere between 10 and 60 percent of what he tells you is either misinformation, disinformation, or an outright lie....and somewhere between 10 and 60 percent of what he says is fantastic advice, reasonable, and backed up by long years of actual experience.

The problem with Rockwell is it takes a lot of experience to know which Ken is talking to you in which circumstances...

The problem with Ken R is that as you read along you too frequently come across a total WTF! post that really hits you like a brick wall and then you have to ask; momentary insanity or does he really not know at the most fundamental level how a camera works: Bayer Interpolation

I know that's a 2006 link there: all the more reason for a WTF! In nine years you'd hope he would have figured it out and either taken that down or fixed it.

Joe

Joe, if Ken only care more about google search ranking, he will not fix it. See, one more link back to his site. Last time Ken Rockwell stopped by here was mainly because people talked about him and his stuff here. And this is what he said last time "Truthfully, I'm just here because my google alerts were off the wall for this site today."

I read his reviews but I also know he makes money from them and when people buy stuff from the links he posts. I enjoy his reviews but I do take them with a grain of salt.

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

This guy is very helpful, not only with his site and numerous reviews, but also answering questions. I remember when I bought my first DSLR camera, I was confused with Nikkor lenses - AF and AF-S. So I put a question in Yahoo Answers and Ken Rockwell answered that very nicely. Since then I read his reviews before buying anything related to photography.

"I feel like the Forrest Gump of photography, although unlike Forrest, in addition to having won many top awards for my artwork, and having had my work published and held in private and public collections worldwide for many decades, I have earned my living full-time in digital imaging since the 1980s."

You can really get the sense of a person when they brag with run-on sentences.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
All his photos are in focus. He is my hero and he is not on here bashing my noobalicios, crappy, photography...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Whenever you shop at bhphoto, don't forget tell them that 'Ken Rockwell sent you.' I don't know it matters, but it doesn't to hurt tell them.

When I just started, I also happily jumped on that beginners snobbery bandwagon called "Bashing Rockwell". Now I see more sense in what he is talking about. Keep it simple guys and get real :icon_biggrin:

The problem with Ken R is that as you read along you too frequently come across a total WTF! post that really hits you like a brick wall and then you have to ask; momentary insanity or does he really not know at the most fundamental level how a camera works

Joe

Ken Rockwell is all about who pays him and how much.
Does he even take photographs anymore?
Anal Probe

I dont trust anyone who's website is built in notepad.

Most reactions

Back