OH My God! Vicky actually posts pictures! - Night time parade and fireworks

Meysha

still being picky Vicky
Reaction score
Website
vickywall.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Yes I know, it's been about forever since I've posted in the Gallery. I've just been run off my feet with my uni courses that I've hardly gotten out there to take any photos lately.

Last night there was a big parade here celebrating the end of a month long festival we've had in town. It was great fun watching all the floats and then we watched some fireworks that were launched out of the inlet.

All shot on canon 350D, Raw, with flash for the parade shots.

Here are just a couple of the groovy things they had in the parade:
butterfly-parade.jpg

parade-mask.jpg

3. This is down at the lagoon - right near where the parade was. Some of you would've seen my photos of this area before, for sure. This cute little couple where waiting for the fireworks to start before the huuuge crowd came - it was packed here about 1 minute after I took this photo.
fishlagoon.jpg

Firework photos were all taken on the bulb setting and tripod and I simply used the remote to open and close the shutter. Took a few goes to estimate the exposure correctly, but then I did pretty well for the rest of the show.
Oh and this is Cairns, so our fireworks aren't exactly the most impressive, but it was fun!
IMG_3523edited.jpg

IMG_3558edited.jpg

IMG_3551edited.jpg

IMG_3526edited.jpg

It's the first time I've ever taken firework photos so I was surprised at how I actually got quite a few keepers out of the bunch I took. But I mean... they're just fireworks so there about as boring a photo as you can possibly take.

Thanks for looking! :hug::

Nice shots, the first and third are my favs. Nicely done! I like the fireworks ones too, I have yet to try my hand at fireworks.

yeah....i guess they're ok :p ....i wonder what my phone camera photo's turned out like.

Love the photo of the mask! Great colours!

Great series Vicky, the fireworks shots are spectacular. :thumbup:

nice work Meysha!
cool captures.. and those fireworks look awesome
post more :D :D :D
thanks for sharing :)

Thanks for all your comments guys. It's very sweet of you all. :hug::

Trust me, the fireworks photos were pure luck any of them turned out. The first 10 or so I took were just massive blocks of white screen coz I left the shutter open way too long.

Thanks Jon... I'm really loving the blur/movement in photography now. It's growing on me in a serious way so I'm glad to see that you liked it as well. it's really tough to tell if other people think it looks good, or if they just think I stuffed up and shook the camera. hehehe :lol: But trust me, it was all deliberate. I actually threw away some perfectly sharp shots. :shock:

Jeff, when you do the firework shots, can I suggest that you don't zoom in too much, although that's probably a given. And shoot in Raw if you can so you can easily fix up the colours and highlights later on.
Oh and if you're careful, you can get the exposures pretty good. There's heaps of different patterns you can get aswell depending on when you open the shutter in the blast. If you do it before the firework is launched then you get the 'stem' bit as well as the 'flower' bit, i call them. But it you wait until just after it's exploded you only get the flower. It's pretty cool. I never realised how complex fireworks were.

Thanks again everyone.

Great series Meysha. Love the fireworks shots.

Most reactions

Back