Oh no..? Yep, I've done it...

misstwinklytoes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So a lot of you have seen, maybe even read through my threat called Oh No... but if you haven't this might not make sense. :scratch:

I met with the bride today about an hour and a half ago so I could see the church meet her, etc.

How great! She's super sweet and so is her fiance. So is the preacher! It was a very pleasant experience, (Even with my 2 yr old tagging along, and that says a lot!). :clap:

The lighting in the church is.... well, it leaves something to be desired, but I took a few pictures and I'm gonna post them here so that others may give me advice. (Please.) Also any advice on positioning, etc. is greatly appreciated.:???:

These photographs aren't for C&C, I don't even know what I was focusing on in most of them. I just wanted to get some pictures of the light with different settings. :chatty:

Maybe I'll use P-mode inside the church and ... no... I don't really wanna do that. I wanna learn. I have to admit that I'm excited now. My nerves aren't really bothering me so much anymore and I really think I can rock this wedding. At least as much as she expects me to and maybe even blow her away.:headbang:

So, any advice is welcome and thanks for looking!:cheers:

Shooting Date/Time 9/21/2010 11:11:14 AM
Shooting Mode Manual Exposure
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/100
Av( Aperture Value ) 3.5
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
ISO Speed 400
Lens EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Focal Length 18.0mm
Flash Off
White Balance Mode Daylight
AF Mode AI Focus AF
Picture Style Standard
Long exposure noise reduction 1:Auto
High ISO speed noise reduction 0:Off
IMG_3991.jpg

Shooting Date/Time 9/21/2010 11:12:23 AM
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/100
Av( Aperture Value ) 3.5
ISO Speed 400
Focal Length 18.0mm
Flash Off
White Balance Mode Daylight
AF Mode AI Focus AF
Picture Style Standard
IMG_3992.jpg

3. This one was shot in P mode
Shooting Date/Time 9/21/2010 11:14:21 AM
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/10
Av( Aperture Value ) 4.5
Exposure Compensation +1/3
ISO Speed 400
Focal Length 18.0mm
Flash Off
White Balance Mode Fluorescent
AF Mode AI Focus AF
Picture Style Standard
IMG_3998.jpg

Shooting Date/Time 9/21/2010 11:20:39 AM
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/30
Av( Aperture Value ) 4.5
ISO Speed 400
Lens EF50mm f/1.8 II
Focal Length 50.0mm
Flash Off
AF Mode AI Focus AF
Picture Style Standard
IMG_4015.jpg

Shooting Date/Time 9/21/2010 11:22:02 AM
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/30
Av( Aperture Value ) 4.5
ISO Speed 400
Lens EF50mm f/1.8 II
Focal Length 50.0mm
Flash Off
AF Mode AI Focus AF
Picture Style Standard
IMG_4021.jpg

6. There's Bride1
Shooting Date/Time 9/21/2010 11:21:15 AM
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/30
Av( Aperture Value ) 4.5
ISO Speed 400
Lens EF50mm f/1.8 II
Focal Length 50.0mm
Flash Off
AF Mode AI Focus AF
Picture Style Standard
IMG_4018.jpg

Oh! And the preacher is okay with flash except for the changing of rings and repeating of vows.

Since your kit lens is the only wide angle(ish) you have, I'd suggest keeping your ISO at 400 (as it seems to grab enough light) but adjust your shutter speed...

So if you're shooting wide at 18mm, your shutter speed could be as low as 1/20s without getting camera shake. But if you zoom into 55mm, you'll need to also adjust your shutter speed to 1/60s or faster. Does that make sense? 1/focal length for your shutter speed AT LEAST. Unless you're on a tripod, or have some of that fancy IS.

I'd make use of the 50mm too when you can, but keep in mind when you'll be changing lenses, because it can be easy to miss shots. You will also be able to lower the ISO when using the 50mm if you're shooting at a wider aperture. I'd suggest 2.2 or 2.5, maybe wide open if you have to.

Just keep your shutter speed in relation to your focal length.

Do you have any suggestions if I get the Canon 24-70 f2.8?

Mostly the same. Watch your shutter speed indoors. The extra aperture stops and the zoom would help you immensely. You could shoot on 2.8 the whole ceremony and probably be fine. It wouldn't be a bad decision to pick up.

Since your kit lens is the only wide angle(ish) you have, I'd suggest keeping your ISO at 400 (as it seems to grab enough light) but adjust your shutter speed...

So if you're shooting wide at 18mm, your shutter speed could be as low as 1/20s without getting camera shake. But if you zoom into 55mm, you'll need to also adjust your shutter speed to 1/60s or faster. Does that make sense? 1/focal length for your shutter speed AT LEAST. Unless you're on a tripod, or have some of that fancy IS.

I'd make use of the 50mm too when you can, but keep in mind when you'll be changing lenses, because it can be easy to miss shots. You will also be able to lower the ISO when using the 50mm if you're shooting at a wider aperture. I'd suggest 2.2 or 2.5, maybe wide open if you have to.

Just keep your shutter speed in relation to your focal length.

I agree with everything you said here except a shutter speed as slow as 1/20th of a second. While she might be able to hand hold at that speed it does nothing to eliminate subject movement. Even in a wedding situation you will get slight movement of the bride and groom swaying or shifting position which will cause the image to be blurry. I would suggest trying to keep the SS above 1/60th if at all possible. But, I have only shot one wedding so I am not very experienced at weddings but basic principals always apply.

Good luck,
Travis

I would be renting it and not buying it. I wonder if it has IS.

Thank you for your feedback Travis. Something else I will keep in mind.

Don't. Buy a speedlight. Bounce it from the ceiling. A speedlight will improve your chances of getting a better photo a 100 times more than the 24-70 f/2.8 on your camera.

I'd actually second that more than the 24-70. I bought my 430EX II right before my first wedding (unpaid, of course) and did fairly well bouncing it off the ceiling and the walls. Lights are always a good investment. You can also constantly shoot at like 1/100s (or higher probably) with the kit lens.

Okay. I'm hoping the guy who was willing to sell me his flash on here is still willing to do so. Mayyyybbbeeeee I can do both. :)

Don't. Buy a speedlight. Bounce it from the ceiling. A speedlight will improve your chances of getting a better photo a 100 times more than the 24-70 f/2.8 on your camera.
+1. I would get a flash and use the 50 wide open. Try to balance your flash with ambient as much as possible while keeping the shutter speed at a respectable rate. If you do get a flash remember to gel it so the rest of the room doesn't turn green from the florescent lights.
If you don't get a flash I'd try to find a position that would allow you to use the 50 1.8. If you do rent the 24-70 just remember that it doesn't have IS. Google Joe McNally's Dagrip on youtube, that may help you with slower shutter speeds.

Will your camera go about ISO 400 ok?

When I shot my aunt's wedding, I didn't have any of my faster glass yet. I really wish I had. My kit lens didn't do a great job. Here's what I would do in your case:

-Make use of your 50mm f/1.8 but use it around f/2.8

-Rent the lens you are thinking of!! I just bought a 135mm f/2.8 because I'm shooting my sister's wedding. I also bought a 50mm f/2 for the same reason.

-Keep your shutter speed up. People in weddings don't stay still. Up your ISO to 800 or more if you have to. It's better to have noisy images than blurry ones. I made this mistake and I regret it immensely.

-Bring a BIG CF card. Mine was only 2GB. Luckily I had a laptop to dump photos on, but I had to wait 15mins for it to transfer. That's a lot of missed shots. I recommend at least an 8GB.

-Go back to the church with your son and try taking pictures of him there. That will give you a good idea of what settings you'll need to stop the motion of the wedding.

-Have fun! (I know you will) :hug::

A few things:

- That shutter = 1/focal lenght guide. The way I was told is that its 1/you MAX focal lenght, not your used focal lenght. So an 18-55 would be 1/60 whether its at 18mm or 55mm.

- The 24-70 does not have IS. A new model is rumoured, and some of us (me!) are waiting for the new version to come out. Its a great idea to rent it

- The speedlight is one of the better recommendations. With it pointed up at 45 degrees and bouncing it off the ceiling, this will greatly help your exposure. Make sure you practice before.

- 1/30 shutter might be good for no camera shake, but I'm pretty sure that you will get some motion blur from the subject, unless you are using a speedlight.

- I saw some of your 50mm shots. The exif says you are at 1/30 and f/4.5. If the light is bad, open up that aperture. I try and get 1/125 when not using flash. By opening that lens up to f1.8, you should get a 1/125 shutter. As your images are a way too dark, then 1/60 and f/1.8 will give you a brighter image with less motion blur.

- Again, if you were to rent one thing and one thing only, looking at those shots inside the church, it would have to be a speedlight... 580 EX II. The challenge will be nicely exposing the people while keeping the background exposed. You dont want to have them exposed and the background black.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back