Oil spots on sensors

CGnTtown

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am very new to the DSLR scene and I am still undecided on my first DSLR but another thread got me pondering. In regards to some D7000 having oil spots on their sensors, has this problem ever surfaced on any other models in recent years or is it possible for it to happen to any model. Would Canons be more likely to not have this problem or was it just a fluke error in manufacturing on Nikons behalf that led to this? I feel bad for the people that bought a bad ass D7000 only to have a problem like this appear. I sincerely hope Nikon takes care of anyone that has had to deal with it to their satisfaction.

Dude, for every 3 or so of us that complain about a D7000 oil problem there are thousands on this forum with no problems.

Don't fall into the internet "herd mentality" trap
bigthumb.gif

2WheelPhoto said:
Dude, for every 3 or so of us that complain about a D7000 oil problem there are thousands on this forum with no problems.

Don't fall into the internet "herd mentality" trap

Great advice but it is hard sometimes not to! So I'm assuming it's extremely uncommon at all with any model?

Mine is one of the ones you read about in the shop and I'd buy another one tomorrow.

A large percentage of these "oil spots" are dust spots that newbies think are "oil spots". Doah!!!! With the pokey kit lenses, shot at f/8 and f/11 under sunny, blue-sky conditions, the newbie hordes who have the D7000 as their first d-slr are seeing these "oil spots" on their blue skies...Imagine that!!! When a small piece of dust comes to rest on the anti-aliasing filter array located a small distance in front of the actual sensor surface, at small f/stops (like f/8, f/11,f/16) that dust spot becomes a "speck" on the picture. If the sensor is dusty, there will be lots of "oil spots" that show up in the picture area on solid, continuous-toned areas, like blue skies.

2WheelPhoto said:
Mine is one of the ones you read about in the shop and I'd buy another one tomorrow.

That's really great to know. I am on the fence about the D7000 and the Canon 7D and the oil spots were freakin me out. Especially when I read that Nikon sent one back supposedly fixed and it still had an issue. Both stellar cameras but that would have been a definite deal breaker.

Derrel said:
A large percentage of these "oil spots" are dust spots that newbies think are "oil spots". Doah!!!! With the pokey kit lenses, shot at f/8 and f/11 under sunny, blue-sky conditions, the newbie hordes who have the D7000 as their first d-slr are seeing these "oil spots" on their blue skies...Imagine that!!! When a small piece of dust comes to rest on the anti-aliasing filter array located a small distance in front of the actual sensor surface, at small f/stops (like f/8, f/11,f/16) that dust spot becomes a "speck" on the picture. If the sensor is dusty, there will be lots of "oil spots" that show up in the picture area on solid, continuous-toned areas, like blue skies.

That makes me feel better. I reckon these dust specs could be ps'd out easily enough.

Many are legit. Nikon says my spots are real and parts are being replaced along with 8 others that are in there for the same reason. It went from "image sensor cleaning" to "Parts - back order" and week 6 we're still waiting even though I've called, begged for a refurbished or refund etc .

But 8 of the thousands sold.... no biggie to me.

D7000 problem threads are a dime a dozen. Personally, I wouldn't buy one. But then again, I wouldn't buy the Canon equivalent, either.

Dude, just clean the sensor. Problem solved. This won't be the last time you have to clean it.

Owning a camera comes with a few responsibilities. Keeping it clean and maintaining it are just two...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back