Ok Camera, Good Lense or Good Camera, ok Lense?

Vuorilla

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am considering upgrading my kit... but I don't think I will be able to afford a very good camera, so I was wondering, a very good fast lense fitted on a so-so camera, is it comparable to a killer camera but only fitted with a not-so-fast kit lense?

To make my question clearer, let's put it this way:

Pentak K200D fitted with the best lense out there, a very low F, etc. (I don't know which one, I haven't searched for it yet)

Or Canon 50D with the kit lense.

A adequate camera + good lens is better than a good camera + lower quality lens.

"Low F" value is not the ultimate indication or measure of quality lens but in general, faster lenses ("Low F") are usually equipped with better optics.

The camera is a recording device.

If the lens pass a bad image to the camera, the camera will record a bad image.
If the photographer capture a bad image (out of focus/badly composed/blown out highlight ...) through the good lens, the camera will record a bad image.

So the camera can only capture a good image when the image is good before the light fall onto the sensor/film.

Ditto, and ditto.

I also recommend that people not fall for the "all-in-one" zoom trap. I know good lenses are expensive, but I think you're better off having several lenses of quality, even if it means saving up and waiting to get the next one.

Thank you all for your answers. So I guess, I will stick to my Pentax and invest in better lenses. :)

I have acquired a bit of knowledge from the research I've done about cameras in the past couple years. I think that in the modern consumer market, obsessed with pixel count, iso, and video, the essential part of the camera, the lens is forgotten. A camera's lens is essential; it controls the aperture, and focal length. This can control things like perspective, depth of field, and the speed of the lens. In a nut-shell I think that a good lens is more important than a camera with a bunch of features, or a high pixel count.

Okay Body + Good Glass will benefit for you. Then Later on you can upgrade the body.

(I know its been said before)

Yes. What everyone else said (why am I even posting...?).

Ideally, you'll want both. Glass has higher priority though.

Even though it had been said before, each one of your answers helped me to decide whether to upgrade the glass or the camera. I am glad I bought a Pentax for the enormous choice of lenses that this company offers, but on the other side, I would have wished to buy a Canon, for the quality of their cameras. I hope, one day, Pentax will manufacture high quality cameras in the likes of Canon and Nikon.

?

Pentax gets a lot of crap from people, but I'm sure they're just as good as Nikon or Canon.

As I understand it, weather sealing is pretty much standard on Pentax, where on Nikon & Canon, only the top of the line has it.

Which goes faster...a Kia with a 500 HP engine or a Corvette with a 250 HP engine?

The camera is a recording device.

If the lens pass a bad image to the camera, the camera will record a bad image.
If the photographer capture a bad image (out of focus/badly composed/blown out highlight ...) through the good lens, the camera will record a bad image.

So the camera can only capture a good image when the image is good before the light fall onto the sensor/film.

So it's best to just hire a pro photographer ? ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back