Ok don't jump me!

ababysean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently shoot with a D3000. It is a nice little camera, fits my needs pretty good. However, I found a D200 with the kit 18-200 lens, battery, charger, and tripod for 550. Looking online, at used prices, this seems like an amazing deal.
My problem is should I get it? Is it an upgrade? Or just a better older version?
Here is a comparison

Compare the Nikon D200 vs Nikon D3000 - Snapsort

Crystal

for an advanced hobbist, i think its deffinetly an upgrade.
D200
better/larger viewfinder
Depth of field button
faster frame rate and bigger RAW buffer
magnesium body
alot more body buttons
top LCD
lens motor

Mirror lockup mode
commander mode for flash
im not sure but i think they share the same sensor,

ive used the d3000 and the d200 and the d200 image seems to have more noise at high iso but i think thats because the d3000 in body noise reduction is a little more agressive.

i would deffinetly buy a used d200 in good shape over a d3000

you have to consider that the lcd on the d200 is smaller, you cant really zoom in (i like the newer largewr lcd since you can check on your pictures to see if you missed the focus and stuff like this)

it does seem like an amazing deal, however, the d200 is old by todays standards. i honestly think youd be better off holding out for a major upgrade.

with new products coming out, it might be wise to hold off, since things better than the d200 will drop in price.

Better viewfinder in the D200, perhaps better handling, and definitely better,easier body controls in the D200 (dual controls, one dedicated to shutter speed, one to aperture). Motor in the body for focusing of ALL the older Nikon AF lenses, AiS lens compatibility,etc,etc.

how badly do you need the glass?

i would think adding a couple hundred and grabbing a d90 would be an even better choice.

I currently shoot with a D3000. It is a nice little camera, fits my needs pretty good. However, I found a D200 with the kit 18-200 lens, battery, charger, and tripod for 550. Looking online, at used prices, this seems like an amazing deal.
My problem is should I get it? Is it an upgrade? Or just a better older version?
Here is a comparison

Compare the Nikon D200 vs Nikon D3000 - Snapsort

Crystal
The D200 would be an upgrade, from a usability perspective. Image quality would be essentially the same as your D3000.

At that price, assuming excellent condition/low shutter count and the 18-200 is the Nikon version, I would buy it.

You give no information at all about the tripod. Is it a $30 CPOS Wal-Mart tripod, or is it a well made Manfrotto tripod? At any rate, you can consider it gravy.

I would then immediately sell the 18-200 which is a popular, though poor performing, lens and invest those proceeds in a better lens.

I'm sure it is a walmart 30 dollar tripod.

Take the deal. If you dont like it, sell it pieced out and make money off of it. I dont know Nikon gear but Craigslist searches shows only an 18-200 VR lens...

I've seen the body only fro $550 and the lens only for $500.

You think?
I just searched ebay and I see several D200 550 and under.
I don't know if it is a great deal afterall.

but do they have that lens with it?
in hindsight im thinking maybe these guys are onto something...
twinky says the lens is worth about 500, that means youd be getting roughly 1000 worth of gear...
any chance of getting a shutter count on the d200?

She has no idea what I'm talking about. I'm supposed to meet up with her and take a look at it.

She has no idea what I'm talking about. I'm supposed to meet up with her and take a look at it.

Have her take a photo and send it to you. Get the opanda exif viewer. Check the shutter count.

Yep picked mine up $525 used on craigs under 14k clicks on it. And find for me or any serious photographer more a working camera than the D3000. Would go with the D90 or new D7000 if funds allowed but can't stretch monies that far. And for a couple of hundred more a D90 is a great start as starting to see them for under $700.

But with the D200 or D80 for that matter will give you more control over image taking. And is a godsend to be able to change settings on the fly without taking your eye from the viewfinder and go menu digging. That and having in body motor for AF and AF-D lenses is another major plus.

With body aside tho. Also consider better glass for the kit. I remember how much new life my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 breathed into my D40 when I upgraded from the kit lens.

Starting over with Nikon after a medical financial crisis. But in no way find the D200 lacking except not being able to shot above 800 iso. But everything else is solid on it and will keep me going another year or until I can afford a body upgrade.

If the lens that comes with the camera is Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED DX VR AF-S, and they both in good working condition. That is a good price.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back