OK I Finally Got The Nerve.....C&C

Divatologist

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been wanting to post a pic, but was a bit nervous about it. I'm concentrating on learning how to use the different features on my camera. I'm trying to learn how to use my camera in manual mode. So, that's what I've been doing for the past few days. I would like C&C on my focusing, lighting, etc. I'll get to composition and things like that once I get the technical stuff down.

Aight guys! Let me have it :D

35mm
F1.8
1/200
3200 ISO (auto)
+2.0

What settings would you have used?

4225696330_8d0487597b_b.jpg

This is actually a really great portrait! Just be a little further back, his elbow got cut off, congrats on posting! Keep on!

I think the distance is fine, but the arm being up looks off. I would get his hand/arm away from his face for the shot. But other than that, it's a great portrait and I like the shallow depth of field which gives depth to the shot.

Nice shot. Don't be nervous about posting pics! Just do it an make sure to take critique with a grain of salt.

I think the exposure is good. It is sharp in the eyes but personally I would have stopped it down a bit. Maybe f/2.8 or f/4.

I generally use ambient light when I shoot so I can't really help out with any tips on off camera lighting but you should post your setup. Others might find it helpful to know where you positioned the lights and why you choose that location.

There is a small reflection in the left glass from his eye wear and I think that his left arm either needs to be fully in frame or adjust the pose so he isn't raising it to his head.

Wow, thanks guys! I agree about the arm now that I look at it. I remember y'all saying that you should focus on the eyes when you take a pic of a person. I'm so excited about figuring out how to use my settings in manual mode.

GFreg this was taken in the hallway at the hospital I work at. We cut the lights off at night and a couple of them stay on. He happened to be sitting under one of them. The reflection in his glasses is the computer he was sitting in front of. If I would have stopped down that much do think I would have to use a flash? I left it at f/1.8 because it was sort of dark and I wasn't using a flash.

Well, you asked for CC on the technical stuff (sharpness, focus, lighting) and I think you did a good job with this.
Its hard to tell with glasses on, but the key is getting the eyes in focus. I can't see if you got the nose or the eyes. Either way, they look good.
The lighting is nice as well, clear, bright. However, the left side of the head is a bit too dark. Actually, both eyes seem a bit under exposed. Again, nothing major, but seems that the light source is on camera left and having smoething to reflect some light back on camera right would help.

With your settings, I'm assuming it was low light? If the subject is posing for you, not moving, you can go with a slower shutter speed to cut down on that ISO, all depending on how steady your hands are.
And shooting at 1.8 means that parts of the subject are clear and in focus, others are blurry due to DOF. This could be your intent, and if it was, it works as his ears are blurry (I like it!). To get more in focus, you'd been to get a smaller aperture, which may not be possible with the low light conditions you had.

While you didn't ask for CC on composition and posing, I agree with what was said about the arm. I think there is a bit too much empty space over his head. You want to leave some so that the photo doesn't get a tight feeling, but try getting his eyes a bit more on the upper third of the frame, leaving some head space.

Nice job though, keep up the good work.

I know that you asked for technical C&C, but bigtwinky covered that nicely and I don't have much to add there. Compositionally, I agree with the comments about the arm. I'd add that you could have moved in a bit to eliminate some the space above his head and to the left of his head. I like the space to the right, though.

Thank you bigtwinky! Thanks for the tip on ISO too. I'm trying to get how all the aperture and ISO and shutter speed tie in together.

I know that you asked for technical C&C, but bigtwinky covered that nicely and I don't have much to add there. Compositionally, I agree with the comments about the arm. I'd add that you could have moved in a bit to eliminate some the space above his head and to the left of his head. I like the space to the right, though.

Without moving in, you could of tilted the camera down somewhat.

I like shooting people from a slightly higher vantage point. When they look up at the camera, they kind of stretch their neck a bit and it slims the face. Not too high, but just a bit higher can help. :)

I like shooting people from a slightly higher vantage point. When they look up at the camera, they kind of stretch their neck a bit and it slims the face. Not too high, but just a bit higher can help. :)
Great tip! Thanks, bigtwinky!

Thanks Pugs! I guess I do need C&C on composition too cause I'll have to learn that as well. I just want to understand the terms and understand the features on my camera before I start trying to create that perfect shot. Thanks for the tips.

Thank you bigtwinky! Thanks for the tip on ISO too. I'm trying to get how all the aperture and ISO and shutter speed tie in together.

you should seriously read Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure". I read it when I started last year, at the same time as I was taking an intro class and it was a great read. Very easy to understand. Its a highly recommended book. Maybe check out a library to see if you can borrow one as I dont see it as a book I'll go back to.

Do you stand on a chair or a step stool. He was sitting down and I kind of bent down and leaned in to take the shot. That's a great tip for girls like me who worry about that extra chin that always seems to make its way into my pics lol

Depends on the effect. usually, a chair might be a bit too high, but it could work depending on what you are going for.

Be careful though as it can easily look unatural and fake. With him sitting, you could of tried slightly lower than standing tall or standing straight up.

But hey, why not try various shooting positions? Each time, you'll have to watch for a busy background, make sure your focus point is still on the right place, make sure you arent cutting off body parts... but its great practice. And if your model is sitting, then no complaining about taking 10 pics over just 1 :)

If I would have stopped down that much do think I would have to use a flash? I left it at f/1.8 because it was sort of dark and I wasn't using a flash.

I am sorry, I didn't realize that you were using ambient lighting. I just assumed that when you mentioned CC on your lighting in the first post that you had something set up.

Most reactions

Back