OK...I'm rebelling

I don't think my camera has ever been on Program mode, to be honest.

I shoot LOTS and LOTS of wildlife photography. First off, conditions are always changing, sun light, shade, in trees...etc. 2nd, the animal may only stand still for 2 seconds, and if that is all I have, I'd better be shooting, not changing the ISO from 100 to 400

AND

Yes I do use off camera flash in manual mode, it's "one" of the situaiotns where that is the appropriate tool.

I shoot LOTS and LOTS of wildlife photography. First off, conditions are always changing, sun light, shade, in trees...etc. 2nd, the animal may only stand still for 2 seconds, and if that is all I have, I'd better be shooting, not changing the ISO from 100 to 400

AND

Yes I do use off camera flash in manual mode, it's "one" of the situaiotns where that is the appropriate tool.

I'm 100% behind you. I have three modern digital cameras that I use (almost daily). They are kept at all times set to P mode (and medium ISO). I adjust then as needed to Tv, Av (S, A) modes and even M if warranted.

I still use this camera every once in awhile:

retina.jpg

It doesn't have a light meter, and since I first learned to use it without a light meter, I still do. Now That's M mode!

This Manual mode monster just won't die. I swore I wasn't going to respond to this thread a few hours ago before I started on the beer. Oh well....

Last word:

Manual mode is necessary for use with external flash -- I have a real one of those too:

2007%20Sep%2015%20104-ed.jpg

Manual mode is also necessary if you want to create special effects.

Beyond that, if you're taking non-flash photos and need a basic good exposure then if you think manual mode gives you more creative control than Tv, Av (S, A) modes you're flat out wrong.

IN FACT the opposite is true. Shooting in M mode inhibits your creative control because you're not taking full advantage of your tools. A master in any discipline is a master of their tools. I'm faster and more efficient with my camera in Tv, AV (S, A) modes than anyone shooting in full manual and as such I have better creative control.

stake.jpg

Joe

I always laugh a bit when I see people get their panties all in a wad over what mode a person uses, or if they shoot RAW...

Personally, I never use P mode as I find it annoying to not just be able to set my camera how I want it but I don't care even a little what anybody else does. Depending on what I am shooting, I shoot A, S or M. A for non-flash portrature, S for sports & when people/critters are moving and M when shooting with flashes (which I do a LOT of).

I also shoot JPEG in my studio. Yeah, I can hear the gasps out there, "why would he DO such a thing, RAW blah blah blah blah". It's a studio, you don't NEED to have all that extra exposure range... set your dad-gum lights correctly and meter them. If you are overexposing or underexposing, well then STOP doing it and set your lights correctly. Heck, I don't even really have to meter most of my stuff I have shot it enough that I know with ISO 200 what the meters are going to read with which light modifiers just by where the lights are setting in the room... I meter it anyway, but still, I can guess within a stop pretty darned accurately. In the field? I shoot RAW except for throwaway stuff like pictures of sports when I shoot for the newspaper or a website. Those shots I simply crop and I never see them again (unless I happen to pick up a copy of the paper).

Shoot any mode you like, it's OK by me.

I always laugh a bit when I see people get their panties all in a wad over what mode a person uses, or if they shoot RAW...

Personally, I never use P mode as I find it annoying to not just be able to set my camera how I want it but I don't care even a little what anybody else does. Depending on what I am shooting, I shoot A, S or M. A for non-flash portrature, S for sports & when people/critters are moving and M when shooting with flashes (which I do a LOT of).

I also shoot JPEG in my studio. Yeah, I can hear the gasps out there, "why would he DO such a thing, RAW blah blah blah blah". It's a studio, you don't NEED to have all that extra exposure range... set your dad-gum lights correctly and meter them. If you are overexposing or underexposing, well then STOP doing it and set your lights correctly. Heck, I don't even really have to meter most of my stuff I have shot it enough that I know with ISO 200 what the meters are going to read with which light modifiers just by where the lights are setting in the room... I meter it anyway, but still, I can guess within a stop pretty darned accurately. In the field? I shoot RAW except for throwaway stuff like pictures of sports when I shoot for the newspaper or a website. Those shots I simply crop and I never see them again (unless I happen to pick up a copy of the paper).

Shoot any mode you like, it's OK by me.

Sounds fine. I have a string tied to a light stand with knots in it for the f/stops. I just tell the subject to hold the string at their chin and I count the knots! Faster and more accurate than a light meter.

I got no problem with people doing whatever makes them happy. The problem occurs when they start pontificating that the only way to get "real creative control" is to shoot in M. The poor beginners believe the nonsense and waste months floundering around chasing some photographer wannabee's bleep bleep.

Joe

Well, I think I accomplished my original intentions, and that was getting people to think about the tools they have available to them. I never use the "Full-Auto" settings, but I do use Program, AV, TV and Manual quite often. Deer, Elk, and particularly ill tempered Mojave Rattlesnake don't take direction well, so I guess those are shots I take, instead of ones I make, if you insist.

IMG_1540.jpg

I happen to think it is years of experinece making split second decisions as to composition and exposure.

Thanks everyone who read the post and posted on it. It was a fun experiment.

Last edited:
I shoot in P mode all the time and I'm still able to get the settings I want because I am capable of using the index finger wheel on my camera. It's really not much different than shooting in Av or Tv mode.

I've never touched P mode. The only way to get the exposure exactly as I want is to set it myself!

Like the saying goes, if you want something done right, do it yourself!

wait...you started this thread saying you now only use "P" mode to get a reaction?

wait...you started this thread saying you now only use "P" mode to get a reaction?

He said he started the thread to get "people to think about the tools they have available to them." Very different than just trying to get a reaction.

He also never said he "only" uses P mode. He said he leaves his cameras set to P as a default and then uses the other modes when appropriate. And that's an excellent strategy.

Joe

I've never touched P mode. The only way to get the exposure exactly as I want is to set it myself!

Like the saying goes, if you want something done right, do it yourself!

So you're saying you don't use the meter in your camera, right?

Joe

Most reactions

Back