OK...I'm rebelling

radiorickm

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I will probably be voted of the forum for posting this (lol), but effective today my camera is going to PROGRAM Mode for it's default settings.

About 1:3 posts on this forum are about people trying to figure out how to use manual mode, or AV/TV. Truth be told, I know how. But honestly I have more chioces, and manual mode does not suit my mode of photography most of the time.

Today, more than ever, we have an array of fabulous tools to use to create photographs. Sensitive digital sensors, Auto-Focus, Auto-Exposure, Adjustable light sensitivity (ISO) setting, different metering patterns, Image Stabilization; These are just some of the tool that we have available. Why would I want to categorically deny the use of one of these tools?

Auto-Focus is a tool. I have lived through a couple of timeless debates in my photo carreer. The first, was the introduction of "auto focus". We all know that Auto-Focus is not perfect. But, we leave it turned on for probably over 90% of our shots, or basically we use it until it fails, and then we switch to manual focus. Why, then is automatic exposure treated SO MUCH differently?

Shooting in program mode, or full auto mode for that matter, is a TOOL that is available to me. I know it is not a perfect tool, but there are times when it may be the appropriate tool. I know and understand how the light metering system in my camera works. I know what will confuse it (generally) and at that time I can choose to intervene and choose a different mode, or apply what ever changes (such as exposure compensation) that I choose. There are a lot of times, that I do shoot in TV/AV mode, or even in full manual. But yes, they are situation specific.

I see no real harm, and several real advantages, to using the tools that I have available to me as they are appropriate. I guess my difference is that I love outdoor photography. My "studio" changes by the minute; I can't just pick one setting and stick to it.

Ok. thats my rant for the day.

Everyone have fun shooting. I am going to chase a train.

If that's what works for you, well, then, SUPER!

I'm with you! I use my DSLR and superzoom cameras on Program most of the time. I can see in the viewfinder what shutter speed and aperture the camera has selected, and usually go with it unless there is some need to change.

I've also noticed posts all over the place where newbies have ambitions to shoot in manual, or say they're trying, or have problems using it. All as if it is a "badge of honor". "I shoot manual. I am a photographer!" Manual is just another tool that can be used if conditions warrant.

For my casual shooting, I also leave the camera on Auto ISO for the same reason. In ever changing lighting conditions, I'd rather have the electronics do their job. And I know which ISO has be selected, so I can intevene if needed.

Enjoy. just one question though... do you ever shoot with Off Camera Strobes?

I know and understand how the light metering system in my camera works. I know what will confuse it (generally) and at that time I can choose to intervene and choose a different mode, or apply what ever changes (such as exposure compensation) that I choose.
This is the key point.

I'm always telling people that it doesn't really matter what mode you are in. If the settings are F8, 1/125 and ISO 400....the photo will be the same, no matter what mode you are in. The modes are just different ways of arriving at those settings.

But it should be stressed, that if someone doesn't understand how their camera's metering system works...then just blindly using the auto modes, is a recipe for mediocrity.

I shoot aperture priority most of the time. IMHO, manual mode is great if you want to control the light effectively.

OP, you're saying, that you understand exposure, you understand your camera, yet you prefer auto mode? Changing exposure settings is a matter of a second even on a starter-level camera so I see no point in using auto mode at all. Your camera can't see the real scene, it can't predict what are you trying to shoot, what is your goal, how do you want to achieve it... Shooting with fully automatic mode on a DSLR is at least a waste of a potential and money...
Anyway, comparing AF to AUTO/P? REALLY?

I'm always telling people that it doesn't really matter what mode you are in. If the settings are F8, 1/125 and ISO 400....the photo will be the same, no matter what mode you are in. The modes are just different ways of arriving at those settings.
Sure, but when you're in AUTO/P, you can't really change the settings if you want a different result. You need to switch to other mode and then change them, but that can cost you time you would spend on shooting your subject otherwise....

Jpeg file format goes with that "I'll shoot "P" all the time" formula for doing nothing too
bigthumb.gif

I shoot aperture priority most of the time. IMHO, manual mode is great if you want to control the light effectively.

Same, unless I'm shooting with OCF, I go Manual.

I guess my difference is that I love outdoor photography. My "studio" changes by the minute; I can't just pick one setting and stick to it.
WHAT? Can't believe the words I'm reading...

If photography was only about exposure p would work fine. You seem to understand the exposure triangle, but cant comprehend how ss and aperture affects an image in other ways.(or you just dont care for the creative part of photography and rather just snap away)

If you are getting the results you want, who cares!

However, " I can't just pick one setting and stick to it.", is certainly not using only program mode. :er:

Many people on here have told those who timidly post photos they took with their point and shoot cameras, that its "not the camera, but the person behind it that makes the photo good or bad". That statement applies in the same way, I should think, to what mode the person behind the camera chooses to use, whether it be program, manual or any of the others included on todays cameras. Personally, I know how to use all the manual settings, but my circumstances make it best for me to use Program shift mode. I can still set my own choice of white balance and ISO and as far as ap & shutter, if I don't like what the camera chooses, then I change it. As for auto focus\manual focus, I always use auto focus unless the camera can't possibly find a focus point, then I use manual. With my eye sight, view finder diopter settings or not, if I used manual focus I'd never have a sharp image! I also feel, and this is just my opinion, that a person totally new to photography, would do better to use the new tools avalaible to them in this automatic age and use their camera on auto or program mode until they had a feel for the camera and the different lenses they might have, and while they work a bit on composition, and then move on to manual modes for learning exposure. As I said, thats just my opinoin.

I've never managed to get along with program mode - I can just never get it to do what I want it to do without having to fuss over things and taking longer than I like. I much prefer using AV (aperture priority) mode as my quick shooting mode - set the aperture to something I want - check the shutter speed - if too slow up ISO/open up the aperture and shoot. :)

auto/program modes = when I want to take a shot.
manual mode = when I want to make a shot.

Most reactions

Back