OK...I'm rebelling

OP, you're saying, that you understand exposure, you understand your camera, yet you prefer auto mode? Changing exposure settings is a matter of a second even on a starter-level camera so I see no point in using auto mode at all. Your camera can't see the real scene, it can't predict what are you trying to shoot, what is your goal, how do you want to achieve it... Shooting with fully automatic mode on a DSLR is at least a waste of a potential and money...
Anyway, comparing AF to AUTO/P? REALLY?

I'm always telling people that it doesn't really matter what mode you are in. If the settings are F8, 1/125 and ISO 400....the photo will be the same, no matter what mode you are in. The modes are just different ways of arriving at those settings.
Sure, but when you're in AUTO/P, you can't really change the settings if you want a different result. You need to switch to other mode and then change them, but that can cost you time you would spend on shooting your subject otherwise....

I shoot a Pentax K20, it has what's referred to as "Hyper Program Mode" which is your standard program mode with the ability to change settings on the fly. The rear e-dial changes aperture while the front one will change shutter speed, a press of the "green" button resets you to program mode, not at all time consuming. Don't know how Canikon program modes work, but Pentax gives you fast, easy control in their program mode.

clanthar said:
So you're saying you don't use the meter in your camera, right?

Joe

Where did you get that from? I'm not knocking P mode I simply said I can't seem to get exactly what I want without doing it myself. I do use my meter as a reference but I almost never agree with it.

OP, you're saying, that you understand exposure, you understand your camera, yet you prefer auto mode? Changing exposure settings is a matter of a second even on a starter-level camera so I see no point in using auto mode at all. Your camera can't see the real scene, it can't predict what are you trying to shoot, what is your goal, how do you want to achieve it... Shooting with fully automatic mode on a DSLR is at least a waste of a potential and money...
Anyway, comparing AF to AUTO/P? REALLY?

I'm always telling people that it doesn't really matter what mode you are in. If the settings are F8, 1/125 and ISO 400....the photo will be the same, no matter what mode you are in. The modes are just different ways of arriving at those settings.
Sure, but when you're in AUTO/P, you can't really change the settings if you want a different result. You need to switch to other mode and then change them, but that can cost you time you would spend on shooting your subject otherwise....

I shoot a Pentax K20, it has what's referred to as "Hyper Program Mode" which is your standard program mode with the ability to change settings on the fly. The rear e-dial changes aperture while the front one will change shutter speed, a press of the "green" button resets you to program mode, not at all time consuming. Don't know how Canikon program modes work, but Pentax gives you fast, easy control in their program mode.

I can't speak for every model, but with my Canon in P mode the wheel directly under my index finger will roll the camera through the entire EV set of shutter speeds/apertures while the wheel directly under my thumb will roll the exp. comp. setting. Much faster than anything you could accomplish with a camera in M mode. That's the point! If you're interested in taking maximum creative control of the situation you should take advantage of your tools.

Joe

clanthar said:
So you're saying you don't use the meter in your camera, right?

Joe

Where did you get that from? I'm not knocking P mode I simply said I can't seem to get exactly what I want without doing it myself. I do use my meter as a reference but I almost never agree with it.

I got that from your saying you do it yourself. In fact you do use the meter in the camera and so what you're doing then is relying on that meter to arrive at ISO, shutter speed, and f/stop settings. With the info from the meter you then manually set those values. With my camera in P, Tv or Av modes I can get to the exact same place that you do -- just faster.

Of course a reflective reading light meter has to be interpreted. I do that constantly as well and regularly override my camera's meter reading. I just do it faster with the camera still in P, Tv, or Av modes.

The problem with this thread and so many others like it is the kind of message that comes through with comments like "If you want it done right do it yourself." This suggests to beginner photographers that using the camera in M mode somehow offers more -- offers better results. The "real photographers use M" cr*p. If using the camera in M mode is what you have to do to understand how the camera works, then great; do that. When you do finally understand how the camera works, wouldn't you then want to work as efficiently as possible? I do. Real photographers use their tools to best advantage.

Joe

Super valid your point of view!

clanthar said:
I got that from your saying you do it yourself. In fact you do use the meter in the camera and so what you're doing then is relying on that meter to arrive at ISO, shutter speed, and f/stop settings. With the info from the meter you then manually set those values. With my camera in P, Tv or Av modes I can get to the exact same place that you do -- just faster.

Of course a reflective reading light meter has to be interpreted. I do that constantly as well and regularly override my camera's meter reading. I just do it faster with the camera still in P, Tv, or Av modes.

The problem with this thread and so many others like it is the kind of message that comes through with comments like "If you want it done right do it yourself." This suggests to beginner photographers that using the camera in M mode somehow offers more -- offers better results. The "real photographers use M" cr*p. If using the camera in M mode is what you have to do to understand how the camera works, then great; do that. When you do finally understand how the camera works, wouldn't you then want to work as efficiently as possible? I do. Real photographers use their tools to best advantage.

Joe

I agree, I was just saying for myself and myself only that that is what I do. Most of the time I guess at the settings and go from there. That is what works for me and what I am comfortable with :)

Shoot whatever mode works for you and your style!

I myself don't really use P mode. It always seems to pick too big an aperture and too slow a shutter speed.
I tend to mostly use Aperture Mode and adjust exposure.
The only time I shoot M is for landscapes on a tripod, when there's no rush to get the shot or when using a flash inside.

Too many people think that a Professional Picture can only be taken in Manual Mode.
And if you don"t shoot in M mode you are a looser!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back