ok so i didnt figure it out.. Speedlight Question..

bullshark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I thought I had it figured out but I guess not...

My question is: I got my SB-800 Speedlight last night. I'm trying to use it, mainly for off-camera lighting.. My problem is, to use it off camera you have to set it to REMOTE mode. You can change the distance setting while in this mode, but you cant change the power setting (ie: m 1/1, 1/128, etc..).. You can change it when you use it in regular mode, but it wont sync with the camera that way. You can change it in SU-4 mode as well, but for some reason in that mode it doesnt sync with the camera properly. The flash will fire, but the image is completely underexposed like you used no flash at all..

Very frustrating, and the book is very vague and doesnt provide much explanation.. Thanks in advance..

Why do you have to set it to remote mode? I don't use Nikon equipment, but I'm positive you can put the flash into manual mode and control the exposure on the back of the unit in stops, ie 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, etc....

How you sync it is up to you. When shooting like this you can use a sync cord in the PC jack on the flash, or use some sort of radio trigger.

well I have it in remote mode because I was under the impression that I needed it to be in that mode to sync it with the camera.. I'm not a big fan of cables so I'm assuming I can use something like a pocket wizard? I wasnt sure if I would need to put it in remote mode even when using the pocket wizard type of radio transmitter so I didnt want to order it and still be in the same situation.

So your saying that If I buy a transmitter, I can keep it in Manual mode and still have it sync with the camera? Anyone using Nikon equipment confirm this?

If you go to the commander mode menu on the camera and set your built-in and groups to M via up/down, you can then change the power setting from 1/1 to 1/128 via up/down button.

*sticks foot in mouth*.. So obvious.. I must have passed that setting 100 times in frustrating button pushes. And its even easier than I thought. I can control it on the camera instead of the flash. Man.. Thanks dude.. *shakes head*..

What kind of camera?

I know that on my D200, using CLS it will auto adjust if I tell it in the camera to use the builin flash as a commander and the remote set to TTL settings.

If I use manual settings in the camera, it goes right where I tell it to go... anywhere from 1/1 (full power) to 1/128th. Once the speedlight is set to remote, the camera controls it (not all cameras, BTW).

If I use the setup with my studio lights, I use SU-800 mode on the remote and it triggers with the built-in flash and again, also to the strength I set it at in the camera (or manually... my choice).

In either case, the SB-800 is always off camera.

Here is a site that should help you out a litle:

http://www.daveblackphotography.com/workshop/0408.htm

As I said I'm not a Nikon user, so I don't know anything about Nikon specific flash stuff, but I'm sure you need something on top of the camera to trigger the flash. If you are planning on using the on camera flash to trigger another, I'd recommend against it. Yes, you can certainly use pocket wizards with your flash in manual mode. You can also use any other type of radio trigger in this way, including Elinchrome Skyports, or the cheapo Cactus radio slaves.

Yea, I was looking at pocket wizard. But no need now, someone above with a Nikon answered my question. It is controlled via camera. No on camera control or trigger is needed. And if I get more flash units, the SB-800 will act as a master. Thanks for your responses!

As I said I'm not a Nikon user, so I don't know anything about Nikon specific flash stuff, but I'm sure you need something on top of the camera to trigger the flash. If you are planning on using the on camera flash to trigger another, I'd recommend against it. Yes, you can certainly use pocket wizards with your flash in manual mode. You can also use any other type of radio trigger in this way, including Elinchrome Skyports, or the cheapo Cactus radio slaves.

The Nikon system on the newer DSLR's (D70 and newer) permits wireless TTL control of up to 3 external flashes or groups of flashes. On DSLR's equipped with pop-up flashes, the pop-up works as the commander or "transmitter". The D2/D3 series need a commander on the hotshoe or a SB-800 to trigger the remote strobes. Really very simple.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back