Old flash with new camera?

zaroba

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was just at an estate sale and among all the old 35mm Canon SLR cameras I found a Promaster Powerwide FTD 5400.
It was only $10 and I didn't have an external flash yet so I bought it. It doesn't have a case or instructions with it so when I got home I looked up details on it on google.

One of the first topics I found was somebody asking about using the old flash and possibly frying their new nikon camera.

So now I am wondering, is there any risk of frying my Rebel T3i by using this old flash on it?

There may be. That sounds like one of thousands of 70s/80s vintage generic flashes. Some older units used a much higher trigger voltage which could actually damage your camera's electronics. Do some research on line and see if you can find out what the trigger voltage is; if it's a single-digit value, you're fine, if it's a couple of hundred volts, then I wouldn't use it.

Nikon DSLRs can use flash units that have up to a +250 volt trigger voltage, but a flash unit that has a - (negative) trigger voltages will kill some of the camera electronics in Nikon DSLRs. If you have a Nikon DSLR make sure the trigger voltage of an older flash unit is not a negative voltage and does not exceed +250 volts.

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

The Promaster 5000 series flash units look to have trigger voltages of less than 6V.

Since you have a Canon camera - Secrets of Powershot Flash Photography

Thanks for the info guys.

And wow, such technicalities for simple flashes. lol

Nikon DSLRs can use flash units that have up to a +250 volt trigger voltage, ...
Really? Huh... I did not know that. Cool! You learn something new every day; thanks Keith!

This is in all the Nikon DSLR camera manuals. If you have the PDF version, just search for 250 V .
Otherwise, it will be in the Optional Flash Units (Speedlights) under Use Only Nikon Flash Accessories.

Thanks for the info guys.

And wow, such technicalities for simple flashes. lol

I think this old flash can only be a disappointing try, and there are surely much better modern efforts, actually useful.

The manual for this one is at http://www.promaster.com/instructionbooks/FTD5400_Electronic_Flash.pdf

At most, an old flash can do Manual flash (no modern digital TTL), and/or maybe auto self metered flash.

This old one however, I think it may offer three choices for auto. That's how we worked in the 1970s. :)
And manual flash on this one appears to offer only full and 1/16 power level.
It's really not the flash you would want.
Times change.

If you have a modern camera, surely you want a flash that can do the things todays camera can do?

hmm...Manual: 1/16 and Full. Auto TTL

Anyway, I'm not going to bother using it. I'll just sell it at the flea market later in the year.
Even if it does work fine and it's voltage ratings are within the camera specs, I'm not going to risk it.

At the end of the day, a new flash is much cheaper then a new camera.

hmm...Manual: 1/16 and Full. Auto TTL

Anyway, I'm not going to bother using it. I'll just sell it at the flea market later in the year.
Even if it does work fine and it's voltage ratings are within the camera specs, I'm not going to risk it.

At the end of the day, a new flash is much cheaper then a new camera.
I have been using my old Vivitar 285HV with good results. No it is not TTL, but it is a solid performer, and does not hurt my D3200.

From what I hear, it's pretty risky to use any Canon flashes prior to EX, or at least they just won't work. Ancient EX's work though. I have a 380EX that was made for the earliest EOS film SLR's that works fine on my 6D.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back