Old Man River

@Jeff15 Thank you. The Mighty Mississippi, is really looking sickly, with water levels over 8-10ft below normal levels. Normally where this is shot, the trees across the water would be at water's edge. Down stream from here the channel is only a couple hundred yards wide, creating a bottle neck as boats wait their turn. This past weekend, barge traffic was being severely restricted from here north, and had pretty much stopped on the lower river. The Mississippi is a huge super highway for transportation of goods, carrying everything from gas, oil, grain, chemicals you name it. Consider that a standard barge load of grain is 52,500 bushels, that's equal to 58 semi truck loads. A 15 barge tow, hauls 787,500 bushel or the equivalent of 870 semi loads. People along the river are already feeling the pain as prices for goods are rising rapidly as the additional cost for transporting by truck kicks in. Sadly this is a low water event that won't be alleviated quickly, even with rain.

The Bollard where the man is sitting, shows the signs of wear from years of ropes used to tie off barges.

Nice shot. Was that taken in Cape Girardeau?

Water is way down in St Louis too. Interesting that some areas are dry reaching out to the river. You don't notice that when the water level is up. Barges keep to the channels.

I thought I recognized that.

@CherylL this is as dry as I can remember. They were saying its down a little over 8ft, but it looks like more. The water level is a long way below where the gauge starts on the bridge. To the north is a narrow channel on the IL side and to the south is a narrow channel on the MO side. Neither look to be over a couple hundred yards wide.

@slat are you nearby? I spent the first 27 years there been in AL ever since.

@CherylL this is as dry as I can remember. They were saying its down a little over 8ft, but it looks like more. The water level is a long way below where the gauge starts on the bridge. To the north is a narrow channel on the IL side and to the south is a narrow channel on the MO side. Neither look to be over a couple hundred yards wide.

@slat are you nearby? I spent the first 27 years there been in AL ever since.
I grew up in Cape and still work there. I live a little west of there near a town called Marble Hill.

grew up in Cape and still work there. I live a little west of there near a town called Marble Hill.

Small world. Grew up in Advance just down the road from Marble Hill. Graduated from SEMO in 72. Moved south in 82. Still have family and business interests in the area.

Most reactions

Back