Old or New?

'Daniel'

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
In the forseeable future (6 months) I think I wll be purchasing a 35mm camera. Now I am not sure what to get. I have two choices in my mind but they are not the only possibilities.

1/ I get a Canon AE-1. A classic camera that I know is great. However uses the FD lens mount. So I couldn't use any lenses I buy for my 350D.

2/ An EOS 35mm camera of some description for round the same price range. Maybe a 3000v. I could then use my lenses that I buy/have for my 350D.

I am leaning towards the AE-1. I have used another old 35mm camera and I realy like them and this camera is leaps better than the other one I have used. It's not financially as good but I doubt I would buy more than one other lense for it( I would get it with the classic 50mm). Probably smething in the 100-200 range (second hand from a shop that has loads of lenses).

Should I get an EOS system and use lenses I buy or buy an older but better(?) camera.

What's the AE-1 got that you want but don't see in an EOS?

The AE-1s seem to be going for about £50 on eBay - you can do better than a 3000v for that. How much did you have in mind to spend?

I have a 300D and the FD mount A-1, which I bought after the rebel.

I am very satisfied with A-1. It's a pleasure to use.

The viewfinder is much better. It's BIG and CLEAR. Being the main interface of the camera, it makes my eyes much less tired. Not so with the tiny 300/350D. When you compare then, you'll understand what "a postage stamp at the end of a tunnel" is.

The lenses are cheap. Which means that a "complete" system of 3 primes will be under 200-300 bucks.

It is also compact. My AF system has 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 and those are heavy. I think each lens weighs more than my MF system. And sometimes I want to go light, come back, turn the film/slides into developing and not worry that my hard drive with all the memories will crash.

Also, a bonus, if I'm not mistaken is that AE-1 will work then the batteries go dead. A-1 won't. But I'm not sure.

You can use IR film manual bodies. You can't in EOS.

For street shooting, it's much easier to focus without looking in the viewfinder and get hyperfocal. Almost impossible with EOS.

I do feel the inconvenience of carrying 2 systems at the same time though. Maybe I'll buy a cheap EOS like 650 for film shooting... but I don't think that will elliminate the need for the FD system.

Just some thoughts from someone who's in the same boat.

Hope this helps

One more thought. The shooting of film with manual camera gave me a very good wide angle for street shooting like this:
http://andrew4137.fotopic.net/c596031.html

If you're like me, and have an EFs lens for the wide anlge, you can't use it with film... and that's what I feel a LOT of photogs are missing.

Marctwo said:
I thought the jury was still out on that one - anyone actually had any results?
Well... I don't know. I've seen a roll where the IR didn't get into the pic and another one where the neg would have to be cropped heavily.

Depends on the camera too.

FD lens is really great , the feeling a lot better than EF lens

Yeah, I know that the VF in the 350D is terrible. I used a ricoh kr-10 abnd the VF must be 4 times the size. It's like comparing looking throguh a letter box to a window. It makes focussing so much easier. I ddin't no if that was the case with the AE-1 I thoguht it might have been an issue with all canon cameras. Thats another plus for the AE-1.

More thoughts?

Well an itds impossible to give a definitvie answer as I have to make the decision. I 'd just like som ideas.

I meant answers to the questions I asked earlier. ie. what is it about the AE-1 that makes you think it's going to be a better camera for you than an EOS for the same price and what price are you thinking about?

:confused: I must be on another planet. :lol:

If you say why you initially think an AE-1 is going to be a better camera for you then we'll know what are important factors in your choice.

If you say how much you're thinking of paying then we'll know which EOS models to put forward.

I'm not asking so that I can specifically give you advice, I just think this info will help everyone in advising you.

Sorry I think there was some misunderstandation!

Right well i don't want to spend alot, less than £100 for a camera with lens.

I don't reall have any other preferences. Although I do like older cmaeras, they're more fun to use I think. I like the feel, the size, the look, the build.

Unless anyone can sway me towards and EOS system. I don't really think sharing lenses with my 350D is good enoguh reason.

Most reactions

Back