What's new

Olympus E-620 four thirds system dSLR???

Whenever you buy anything new, it is always good to start from your budget first, and then like what you have done, ask others about what works for them.

It should feel good in your hands too.....pick the one that feels better...nothing worse than using something that just feels arwkward.

Best of luck :)

Great advice, thanks. The E620 definitely feels better in my hands and is also within my budget. I posted a question on the 4/3rds forum asking about the E620 coupled to the 14-54 lens and everyone agrees that this lens, being of excellent quality, will make all the difference. I think we have a winner.
 
Olympus does make some pretty fast lens to make for their ISO problems with the smaller sensor. Partially because it's easier to make a fast lens that is dedicated for smaller sensor but their 70-200 (35mm equivalent) have a constant fstop of 2 instead of the normal f2.8 so you do get an extra of light. I'm don't think it will match a D90 overall as far as noise go even with that extra stop though.
 
Olympus does make some pretty fast lens to make for their ISO problems with the smaller sensor. Partially because it's easier to make a fast lens that is dedicated for smaller sensor but their 70-200 (35mm equivalent) have a constant fstop of 2 instead of the normal f2.8 so you do get an extra of light. I'm don't think it will match a D90 overall as far as noise go even with that extra stop though.

Yeah, I have to agree with regard to the D90. I still like the E620 but I know there will be some sacrifices over a D90. But I guess there's sacrifices with any camera. None of them are perfect, right? You just have to pick your battles and hope for the best.
 
Thanks. Yeah, I saw the adjustable aspect ratios in the specs.

Thanks Padrepaul77, it's good to hear from an owner.

And thanks a million to everyone else kind enough to take time to reply.

No problem. I guess what sold me were the price, the good reviews, and the art scene modes. Yeah, you can do all that afterwards but it's nice to have options while shooting too. The lenses have done just fine. The only negative I've heard is on noise, but it hasn't been an issue for me. If it is I can use a noise-reduction program, but I don't shoot much at high ISO speeds; mostly it's landscape, nature and street shots. There's also a live view screen which is quite nice, and you can pull it out and move it around.

I really like Canon as well, and have no complaints about my powershot sx10 - it shoots great, and I was looking at the Rebel and not even considering Olympus before I became aware of it on this forum. I've never owned Olympus before, and also went in to a local shop to kick the tires and the salesman said they do make great lenses; he wasn't an Olympus sales rep either, they sell all kinds there. I went through B&H though online as their price was better - I really recommend them if you are buying.

The lenses like I said have been great. If you do a lot of nature shots, I also picked up a 1.4 teleconverter too online which the Olympus person said was a better way to go than the 2x teleconverter as you lose two f-stops on the latter; but if you get that 70-300 it's already pretty lengthy. The only lens I haven't played around with yet is the 9-18.

Good luck and have fun with whatever you end up getting!
Paul
 
Here's a good review of the camera.

Olympus E-620 Review

Here's their summation:

Pros:

  • E-30 technology for under $1000
  • Very nice kit lens
  • Creative features are fun, useful
  • Wireless flash control is excellent
Cons:

  • AF performance is hit or miss
  • Live view experience still not perfect
  • Noisier at high ISOs than competition
 
Thanks guys.

I'll check out that review. I've read a bunch so far, but that one's new to me. Thanks.

The E510 or 520 can be had for a bit less here in Canada too, but I think I've got my heart set on the 620. I did check out the T1i. It's very sweet. Great display. Lots of available lenses and so on.

I just want to say thanks to everyone who took time to reply and provide helpful advice. You've really helped take the confusion out of a difficult and expensive purchase decision. I really appreciate it. Thanks again.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom