Olympus M.ZUIKO 60mm f/2.8 Macro Lens and Raynox 250

davholla

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am thinking of going to Panasonic and using this combination.
However the thread of the 60mm lens is 46mm so how would I attach it to the Raynox 250?
Has anyone done this? Any advice?

From what I can find the lens itself has a rear thread mount of 43mm. Typically you'd screw this into the adaptor and then mount the adaptor to the lens. However for your 46mm front thread you could use a stepping ring which would screw between the two, taking your front thread from 46 to 43 and thus letting you mount the Raynox direct.

I snap to on to the lens hood of the 60mm. This way I can remove it fast and easily. But I also have a step down ring that I have used as well.

I snap to on to the lens hood of the 60mm. This way I can remove it fast and easily. But I also have a step down ring that I have used as well.
How did you do that? Also how do you cover your lens? Do you have a spare lens cap?

The Raynox comes with a snap-on that will snap from 52-67mm. You can either snap it on to the lens itself or in my case I use the hood. The raynox comes with lens caps. If I have it on the lens with the step down ring then I use the lens cap that comes with the Raynox.

The Raynox comes with a snap-on that will snap from 52-67mm. You can either snap it on to the lens itself or in my case I use the hood. The raynox comes with lens caps. If I have it on the lens with the step down ring then I use the lens cap that comes with the Raynox.
I understand now what hood do you use? Was that easy to attach to the hood?

What kind of hood are you using that would clear the pushbuttons on the Raynox quick mount?

I use the retractable hood specifically made for the lens. I leave the hood retracted and just clip on the Raynox

I use the retractable hood specifically made for the lens. I leave the hood retracted and just clip on the Raynox
Did that come with it or did you buy seperately? Was this easily done?
I like the idea but I doubt I could do it.

You're referring to the 60mm lens, not the Raynox, correct? Is this one of those rubber thread-on lens hoods?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Trying Panasonic GX8 with Olympus 60 mm so far the results are not good - more due to me I guess.

Neither of these were good (both the same fly)

Canon 550D

IMG_4086Conopidfly by davholla2002, on Flickr

Panasonic

ConopidflyPanasoniccropped by davholla2002, on Flickr

Same species but due to my mistake different individual

Panasonic

PanasonicLibethra strigiventris by davholla2002, on Flickr

Canon 550D

CanonLibethra strigiventris by davholla2002, on Flickr

Thinking I might send these back, any thoughts particularly on what settings to use? I would say that this was the least enjoyable day I have had since I got my first decent photos in 2013.

Looks like the gear is doing the job, but the shooter needs better technique and better lighting gear/methodology. True "macro" work (not close-up work, but true 'macro' work) is _very_ demanding, and requires impeccable technique and flawless understanding of multiple aspects of photography. I would stress understanding that, over the last 10 years, we have started seeing MANY "stacked" images (as opposed to pre-digital,or earl-digital-era single-frame images) which are NOT labelled as such, and quite possibly, you have fallen into the trap of mis-conceptualizing how "easy" it is to take single-frame Macro shots of live insects.

Looks like the gear is doing the job, but to shooter needs better technique and better lighting gear/methodology. True "macro" work (not close-up work, but true 'macro' work) is _very_ demanding, and requires impeccable technique and flawless understanding of multiple aspects of photography. I would stress understanding that, over the last 10 years, we have started seeing MANY "stacked" images which are NOT labelled as such, and quite possibly, you have fallen into the trap of mis-conceptualizing how "easy" it is to take single-frame Macro shots of live insects..
How would you suggest that I improve them? Normally with my Canon lens I can get better than this
Hoverfly IMG_7703 by davholla2002, on Flickr

I would have expected to get equal with the Panasonic.

Most reactions

Back