Omg bald eagles spotted at the local pond!

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hoping to have some pics this week. Any tips on catching them in action? Do they have preferred feeding times? What’s the best time of day?

some pics this week. Any tips on catching them in action? Do they have preferred feeding times? What’s the best time of day?

I am not certain of their habits but I have experienced this:

Arlington VA has a park called Lomg Bridge that has a quarter mile long walk that overlooks a large bird sanctuary at the end of runway 15 at DCA. Really...a bird sanctuary at the end of a runway. It is very close by and nearly every time I have gone there I have spotted a bald eagle. It appears it is flying over from nearby Columbia Island. I also see them when I am out kayaking between 14th street bridge and Memorial Bridge. It is unfortunate how oblivious others are to their presence. If memory serves I was at Lomg Bridge Park around 9 AM in the winter. I saw them soaring during the summer in the evening. So, if you saw one at a specific time I would advise returning around that time again. I'm still waiting for a good close-up. This is the best so far. Good luck.

Attachments

• 20190209110202_IMG_4686-01.jpg
    20190209110202_IMG_4686-01.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
From my experiences with them they pretty much do what they please, when they want. We had a nesting pair on the bluff across the valley from us for for a few years until a house was built not far from them. They soared over us just about daily mostly early mornings or evenings. Then a pair set up shop in the top of a bald cypress tree in a bean field not far from our farm in MO. They seemed pretty oblivious to the crowds of people that came to watch them. Farm equipment working the fields around them didnt bother them either. They had a somewhat symbiotic relationship with the equipment. As it passed by they would watch from their perch for small animals forced to flee from its path, and swoop down for easy meals. They don't seem all that skittish of humans, so just watch and observe, but if they're sitting eggs please give the nest a lot of room. Theres been several eagle cams around the country I used to follow one in FL, they can be home addictive. The latest catching attention How a pair of bald eagles became Southern California rock stars

I know around here they will be out in the middle of the day. If there is roadkill they hang near it. It has been so warm here in Northern NY that none have come around yet this winter. Because the St Lawrence River and Lake Ontario are still providing food. Good luck!

There were some in my area; at first not near me but last year there was a nest not too far away along the river. I can't remember what time of year it was, last time I was out that way there wasn't anything happening.

I've seen people with tripods set up but can't remember when it was, I'll have to ask my best friend this weekend if she remembers. Obviously there was action near the nest, and it seems like it was late afternoon maybe? But people could've been out there with their tripods all day for all I know! lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back