One family photo

Was planning to strobe it but I scratched the idea. Kids weren cooperating so I went with the easy way out :D.

I don't get to come here much any more, but each time I do, I find you're doing nicer and nicer work.

The posing is very strong. I wish mom was a tad closer to dad, but not bad at all. The really knit pic is feet/toes being lost in the grass... something I'm totally fine with.

Good job on the clothing. The setting/background too is very nice.

Now, the challenge is to get proper lighting on the subjects. What you have here is absolutely acceptable (I've done quite a few that look like this), but it's not particularly good... with faces in shadow and no shaping.

As for white balance, the goal in portraiture is not achieving absolutely accurate, realistic color. People are warm, especially in the mind's eye. Getting the balance a bit warm in a portrait is desirable. I like your interpretation.

VERY NICE!

-Pete

Was planning to strobe it but I scratched the idea. Kids weren cooperating so I went with the easy way out :D.

Oh, yeah.... I didn't mean strobes. What I mean is you've clearly have a handle on everything else... now it's time to find a location with lighting for the subject.

-Pete

Hmm.. I guess I am not really following you. How do I light the subject without strobes? Face them to the low sun?

Well... it will likely take a different angle or location. It's not lighting the subjects, but rather placing the subjects into the lighting.

Facing them toward the low sun won't quite get it. You'll have to wait for the sun to drop below the horizon. And not so much facing the nice open sky, but at an angle to the incoming light, so to create shaping with the shadows.

This requires scouting out locations until you find a setting and time of day that provides it all. The location you used here is nice and deep allowing good separation from the background. The background has acceptable lighting. But the subjects' faces are in flat lighting. And, the ratio of light on the subject to the background is inverse.

Like I said, in a pinch, this isn't the worst situation. I've shot many just like this.

I'm just saying where I would go next, now that everything else is working. I'd continue looking for the same situation that also has good lighting for the subjects.

Good, solid posing. Nice.

-Pete

Most reactions

New Topics

Back