One for C&C?

John27

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$AshleyHampton-0221-XL.jpg

Diving into the world of flash photography and portraiture. I posted my first attempt, got some critique, learned a bit.. here's trial run #2. A family member who was willing to pose!

Good? Bad? Right direction? I realize it's not very exciting, but I figure I should learn how to do the basic 'bread and butter' stuff before I start getting fancy. This was done with one speedlight and two umbrellas (fired from a bounce umbrella, second bounce umbrellas used as a reflector.)

Thanks!!

John

It's almost as if one side of his face is half a stop blown, and the other half a stop underexposed. Maybe move the key a little more head on?

It's almost as if one side of his face is half a stop blown, and the other half a stop underexposed. Maybe move the key a little more head on?

That's what I was thinking. I'm trying to create SOME shadows, but maybe this was a bit much!

This was a 1-1/2 light setup. 1 speedlite, 1 reflector, and two open windows on an overcast day to either side of the subject.

That's what I was thinking. I'm trying to create SOME shadows, but maybe this was a bit much!

This was a 1-1/2 light setup. 1 speedlite, 1 reflector, and two open windows on an overcast day to either side of the subject.

You might want to attempt an exposure gradient in Photoshop or Lightroom.

You might want to attempt an exposure gradient in Photoshop or Lightroom.

Never done anything like that before, but always up for a new challenge. I'll do some reading and see what I can learn...

Open the photo in lightroom and hold down the alt key while sliding the exposure control.. gives you a very visual representation of where you are clipping.

Hmmm... this seems very red/pink to me. Guessing it is due to the reflection from your shirt onto your skin.

Alternatively, drop the key by 1/2 stop and place a reflector close in image left to fill in.

Hmmm... this seems very red/pink to me. Guessing it is due to the reflection from your shirt onto your skin.

Could be, though the white balance was set with a gray card. On my calibrated monitor the skin looks good to me, although I'm not a pro. Could it just be all of the red playing tricks on your eyes?

Could be, though the white balance was set with a gray card. On my calibrated monitor the skin looks good to me, although I'm not a pro. Could it just be all of the red playing tricks on your eyes?

No. They're correct, the photo has a red tint.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back