One lens for a wedding????????

ONLY since there is a photographer there, I say a 10-20

lurking....

Im in the same situation! Where can I rent a lens?

I only use three lenses that like,
I got a -
75-300mm
17-50mm
18-55mm

I am probably going to end up with the 17-50mm, but what do you guys/girls think?????? Thanks

Not related to your original question, and I know nothing about Canon, but I have to admit, I'm curious as to why you have a 17-50 & a 18-55. They just seem so close to each other.

Actually they are world apart. The 18-55mm is a wide angle lens. I shoot all my boxing pictures with it. I can zoom in a lot better then the 17-50mm.

Only one lens? Well it would be impossible to cover a wedding with one lens IMO but for you, since there is a real photographer and you are just taking alternate shots, I would have to go with a 70-200 2.8. It will help make sure you stay out of the paid photographer's way.

Allan

I totally agree with you about staying away from the photographers. I told my friends that already. I would hate to have someone try to do my job while I was at work. One it would be very annoying, two I would never want to get in the way of an artist while they were doing there things.

I say... sell your 17-50 and your 18-55 and pick up the 10-22 f3.5-4.5 and 24-70 f2.8 combo :D

That'll give you coverage from 16-112mm at 35mm/FF equivalent. You might find you'll really want that f2.8 Aperture for the low light and other pleasing shallow DOF qualities.

If I had only one I probably go with 35mm prime to go with your 50D.

the 24-105mm lens is a good all round lens for a wedding if I had to choose just a single lens to use.

No offense but I highly disagree. Especially being a secondary photographer you need something with more range and a wider aperture. The 70-200 f/2.8 is perfect for this situation and there's a reason 90% of professional wedding photographers at least have it in their bags.

Even as a primary photographer there are times when flash is prohibited (by the church or facility hosting the gathering). Because of this you're already going to want to be using something wider than f/4 or you might not be able to capture enough light.

Add in the fact that as a secondary photographer you'll be further away and won't be able to control a flash at all (if it would be possible anyway) and you're going to need the widest aperture possible. I think a 70-200 f/2.8 will be almost *essential* for this type of request.

Depending on the lighting situation of the event you may need something faster than an aperture of f/2.8. Think about going down to f/1.4-f/2.

UNLESS you can rent a 430ex or 580ex and then you can pretty much use every lens you already have.

edit: i have never heard of a church not allowing flash photography during a wedding.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back