One of my latest model shoots - Alissia

DanFSU

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was very happy with this set, in under three hours we had several very distinct looks. Had the help of a hair stylist and make up artist. Never leave home without them!
I used a Nikon D80 with 50mm 1.8/f and my SB-800 flash in an umbrella.
Also, I shot everything in and around my house and the last "studio" looking shot was actually shot on my bed... okay so that sounded a little creepy but I don't have money for a studio so whatever works, right?! LOL
Let me know what you think!

3617904367_d5c057ea3d.jpg

3618726316_02cfcc6c61.jpg

3617905151_238a8ac041.jpg

3617920531_635e9353b1.jpg

3617905857_094650d6ed.jpg

3618727798_867343c771.jpg

3617906589_4b5a8c7f29.jpg

Last edited:
I dig shot #3, very cute.

Eeeeyow. I love the last one. I think it could have used a some more fill from the left though to decrease contrast, and just a little more on the hair, but it's still a superb shot. The makeup really makes it.

Only thing I might do, is crop #4, so that you get rid of that black bar on the bottom (which screams "Hey I'm in a room somewhere!") and instead just have her floating on a fluffy. . .thing.

I dig shot #3, very cute.
so it's not just the boobs? LOL, yeah, this shot really showed her personality

Eeeeyow. I love the last one. I think it could have used a some more fill from the left though to decrease contrast, and just a little more on the hair, but it's still a superb shot. The makeup really makes it.
Thanks, yeah lighting was a real challenge here. I was using a single SB-800 mounted to an umbrella and an incandescent lamp without it's shade to provide hair lighting, and there was minor ambiance room lighting. I need more lights... :grumpy:

Only thing I might do, is crop #4, so that you get rid of that black bar on the bottom (which screams "Hey I'm in a room somewhere!") and instead just have her floating on a fluffy. . .thing.
I was really fighting with that and hit myself in the head a couple times for not seeing that in the shot the first time, Cropping just doesn't work and still keep it in 8x12 format. ::sigh:: LOL, I like the floating on a fluffy...thing!

This is going to sound negative, even though I don't mean it that way.

How the heck to you get a model to agree to come back to your apartment and lay on your bed in her underwear for a shot?

You are quite good at persuasion, sir.

LMAO!!! I totally agree with you, it is creepy as hell! I never thought I'd have a model at my place, let alone in my bed! Truthfully, I had my girlfriend there, my makeup artist, and my hair stylist (all female) so she was very comfortable. Her attitude had a lot to do with it as well, she trusted in my eye and was open to everything. Definitely would work with her again.

I like #3 and #4

she's as sexy as me.. lol! :D

overall, i love the shots except #5.. :)

I've gotta go with #3 as well. It's sexy while also showing personality.

I think they're all very good....agree with the black border problem, but still a fine shot....I like the dark/high contrast look of the last shot, for me it's in keeping with her look.

Thanks guys (and sexy girl!), I'm enjoying the critiques as well as seeing which ones are most popular. What kind of lighting do you guys prefer?

I am definitely not an experienced portrait photographer, just starting this year after wanting a change from shooting sports, so this comes from an untrained eye, but my first thought when I looked at #4 was that she was missing a leg. Maybe arrange the "fluffy thing" so just a bit of leg is showing? I think the general pose is great, possibly just needs to be a little more leg! I like the lighting in #6 the best, as I feel it appears the most natural and "outdoorsy", but that is definitely just a personal preference! Great shots, and I will be looking for more to study!

My favs are #3 and #4. In my opinion these are the best of the series. You nailed the exposures and her expressions are so natural and playful. Nice work.

Really beautiful work. I was trying to pick my favorites, but I really like them all. I agree with the above critiques. I think #3 is my favorite because you can see her character so much.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back