One of My Mother

oCyrus55

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just tried a new lighting technique, what do you think?

Mom.jpg

Thanks for looking, any comments would be appreciated.

I like the lighting... it's missing a little something but I'm not sure what... maybe light on the hair or from behind - it looks a tad flat.

Nice shot.

Harsh light tends to work for guys, but in general, women tend to be more pleased with softer light. Diffusing the light with an umbrella or a sheet would help, but it would need to be a stronger light (and preferably further back, which needs it to be even stronger). You are already getting a fast fall-off, which causes the close parts of the subject to be too bright and the further parts to be too dark. Light from further away is more equal, which is why sunlight is the same for you and the person 30' behind you. If the light is really close, even 3" makes a difference. A reflector would help, too.

I would also raise the light so it is above her. You don't have to, but it is more traditional. Light from below tends to be more sinister. Left vs. right can also have significance.

Thank you, I appreciate the comments.

Really nice! You might want to try having someone hold a 2X3 white board or reflector on the upper left angled down about 45 degrees...see what you get! Overall, I like this photograph!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back