One Pic for Critique

ks0385

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Chess is fun.

coriichess.jpg

Very nice, I love it! The composition is great. I've been trying to experiment with this sort of angled composition myself, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, but this really works.

I agree, this is a very nice capture. One thing that to me seems a bit distracting is that the lady in frame seems bored, instead of deep in thought over her next couple of moves. Almost looks like she's falling asleep.

C&C per req:

I'm not normally a fan of angles, but as mentioned above, in this case it seems to work. A couple of thoughts however, the image has a strong green/yellow cast which should be removed in post. I would also prefer a little more foreground focus, and the subject needs more light. The strong sun has played with the exposure, and a couple of off-camera strobes to provide fill would have really helped here.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

C&C per req:

I'm not normally a fan of angles, but as mentioned above, in this case it seems to work. A couple of thoughts however, the image has a strong green/yellow cast which should be removed in post. I would also prefer a little more foreground focus, and the subject needs more light. The strong sun has played with the exposure, and a couple of off-camera strobes to provide fill would have really helped here.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Thanks all for your responses so far. Also, tirediron, I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the colors. Do you think you can edit it and repost?

...tirediron, I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the colors. Do you think you can edit it and repost?

Unfortunately, no I can't from work. The image appears to me to have a green/yellow colour cast. If you look at her top (which I assume to be white) it's got a yellowish-green hue to it. If this was shot as a RAW image, cleaning that up will be fairly straight-forward. If shot as a .jpg, a little more difficult but still doable.

Anyone else?

Also, why does this angle seem to work, and others don't?

Here's a quick color correction done in ACR with the WB eyedropper. And resized ;)
coriichessre.jpg

It looks too red, now. :p I think the greenish cast works, because she's obviously under shade with light coming down through tree leaves. and the edit made her skin look too red, and gave her purple hair.

I like the composition and subject but there are 2 big problems here IMO, besides the color. The first is the black level is way off. The second is the distracting flare at the top. Here's an edit where I addressed both plus modifying the color using the ACR eyedropper on one of the presumably white pieces in her necklace (I'm not sure the top is supposed to be white). The composition may have taken a bit of a hit with this crop but I felt the flare just had to go.

coriichess.jpg

Astroskeptic, thanks for the edit. Colors looks good now. By black levels, do you mean White Balance? And the flare doesn't really bother me that much.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back