One quick question

Jus7 A Phas3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Once i know this i will know what i want to buy. With a SB-800 can i shoot up to 500 with the CLS and over ride my D80's 200 flash sync speed? Also do i have to shoot with my pop up flash to set off the SB-800 off camrea or can i just have that go off souly by the CLS? and i heard that you need the sc 28 or 29 to shoot them off camrea or can I just shoot with them COMPLETLY wireless and slave free? After i know these now few questions I will know what to save up for and in a couple weeks (hopefully) will have an awesome new camrea toy. :]

Someone has to know?

Your flash should have a high speed sync mode that will let you flash at much higher sync speeds. You'll lose power this way though. I'm thinking it should work with cls.

And afaik, cls uses the on camera flash to relay information to the off camera flash. There should be an option like Canon's system, when you can turn the flash off so it fire for the cls info, but not for the actual photos.

Thanks, so do i not have to buy the sc-29 to shoot them off camrea? and I reallly want to make sure that i can shoot up to 500 before I buy it, but i have no way of checking with out buying it though. ha

Call up Nikon, you can get an answer 24/7

Thats true, I never thought of that, thanks. I hate talking on the phone to people like that though ha I should do it though just get all my qestions answerd.

Once i know this i will know what i want to buy. With a SB-800 can i shoot up to 500 with the CLS and over ride my D80's 200 flash sync speed? Also do i have to shoot with my pop up flash to set off the SB-800 off camrea or can i just have that go off souly by the CLS? and i heard that you need the sc 28 or 29 to shoot them off camrea or can I just shoot with them COMPLETLY wireless and slave free? After i know these now few questions I will know what to save up for and in a couple weeks (hopefully) will have an awesome new camrea toy. :]

You can shoot at 1/4000 second! You need the pop-up to send the commander signal to the SB-800 but you do NOT want to use it for illumination because that will limit your shutter speed to 1/200. Refer to page 96 of your D80 manual. Configure the pop-up for commander mode but set -- for the flash illumination. You must also set the SB-800 to receive the commander signal. With the SB-600, it's real simple and I imagine that it's also simple with the SB-800.

Don't panic when you see a flash from the pop-up. That's the monitor pre-flash that has the commander IR signal buried inside. You'll notice that the shutter speed remains as high as you want it to be. If the shutter speed automatically changes to 1/200 or less, that means that you configured the D80 incorrectly.

You can shoot at 1/4000 second! You need the pop-up to send the commander signal to the SB-800 but you do NOT want to use it for illumination because that will limit your shutter speed to 1/200. Refer to page 96 of your D80 manual. Configure the pop-up for commander mode but set -- for the flash illumination. You must also set the SB-800 to receive the commander signal. With the SB-600, it's real simple and I imagine that it's also simple with the SB-800.

Don't panic when you see a flash from the pop-up. That's the monitor pre-flash that has the commander IR signal buried inside. You'll notice that the shutter speed remains as high as you want it to be. If the shutter speed automatically changes to 1/200 or less, that means that you configured the D80 incorrectly.

Thank you, you know everything haha. Now i can finally to save up and now excaly what flash to buy, thank you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back