Online exposure calculator!

poopingfish

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Found this looking for a calc for my math homework.
It may be of some use, not sure. Personally never heard of an ISO of 6400 but im still relatively new. Click here.

Is this thing right?

That is based on the 'Sunny 16 Rule'. It does work, but it relies on your ability to accurately identify the light levels.

If you have a camera with a built-in light meter (99% of modern cameras do) then you don't really need to use this. But it's certainly handy to know.

That is based on the 'Sunny 16 Rule'. It does work, but it relies on your ability to accurately identify the light levels.

If you have a camera with a built-in light meter (99% of modern cameras do) then you don't really need to use this. But it's certainly handy to know.

Mike, i think that it will become handy to shoot very dark scenes ( night scenes ), because you will be forced to use BULB, and you have to know how much time to keep the button pressed :p
What do you think? :)

Haha. Khronos got you there!
Ah, the ol sunny 16 rules huh? I mustve over looked that somewhere.

Wait-How is this reliant on the S16 rule? It says when you click "calculate" what is needed for each stop. From f/1 to f/64.

Wait-How is this reliant on the S16 rule? It says when you click "calculate" what is needed for each stop. From f/1 to f/64.
The Sunny 16 rule is; in bright sun with an aperture of F16, your shutter speed should be the reciprocal of your ISO. So for ISO 100, it would be 1/125.

You can use those values to extrapolate to any circumstance. If your aperture is F4, that's 4 stops larger, so your shutter speed at ISO would need to be 1/2000.

So it's not just a rule for F16.

The problem with that calculator, is that you are choosing a light level based on a description...."Subject lit by dim or indirect artificial light"...that could mean something different to everyone...like I said, you would have to be very good at identifying the light level.

I do see that you can also enter the light level value in different measurement values...but you would need a light meter for that anyway.

Seems like a lot of trouble when most cameras have a built-in meter anyway.

I still have a slide-rule type device (from 1964!) for this purpose. It factors ASA, f-stop and shutter speed for a hundred night exposures (each one with an extremely detailed description). It's about as far away from "sunny-16" as you can get. I cut it out of a magazine and glued to pieces of cardboard

I still use it occasionally. Under certain circumstances, it's actually better than my camera's built-in meter. First, the camera's meter doesn't know that the scene is supposed to be dark and second, I can use it for exposures as long as thirty seconds. Bracketing is, of course, essential.

What about reciprocity failure? Each film is somewhat different when it comes to longer exposures...slower film can be more sensitive than faster film etc.

What about reciprocity failure? Each film is somewhat different when it comes to longer exposures...slower film can be more sensitive than faster film etc.

After you get the theoretical value, you factor that in manually. Hey, this was the sixties - what do you want? I don't worry about it anymore because digital sensors don't have reciprocity failure. However, I still bracket, bracket, bracket.

The problem with that calculator, is that you are choosing a light level based on a description...."Subject lit by dim or indirect artificial light"...that could mean something different to everyone...like I said, you would have to be very good at identifying the light level.

Yeah you're right... exact numbers can't be equal with a simple description.

But hey... at least you know around how much time you need to press that button :D ... and from there... as you said... bracket, bracket, bracket :)

On a side note, I had a photography instructor that said he (and his associates) could tell the light level they were in...usually down to within one or two tenths of a stop. They always had a light meter with them and they would 'guess' the reading it would give. The one who was farthest away from the actual reading had to buy lunch.

On a side note, I had a photography instructor that said he (and his associates) could tell the light level they were in...usually down to within one or two tenths of a stop. They always had a light meter with them and they would 'guess' the reading it would give. The one who was farthest away from the actual reading had to buy lunch.

Do that for 5-6 years, and it would not surprise me if they indeed could do that!

Most reactions

Back