Online Photo courses.

kcaudle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was planning on taking a photography course at the university I am attending but recently got my school bill and it hurt alot so I am having to drop the course to make the other required classes more feasible. So I am curious if there are any online courses that I can take that are under a thousands dollars. I have a Canon rebel T3i and I am really wanting to better understand how it works and I want to better be able to take pictures. I have always wanted to take photos and I want to take it seriously however I can not swing the bill at the university. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!!!

Go take pictures. Post them here and let everyone berate you. Then you will get pissed off and discouraged and in a rage you will practice like crazy to make something acceptable and read vigorously how to do so in the process.

Honestly you could learn just about everything you would ever need to know right off this forum.

I don't think an online course will offer anything that you won't find on YouTube or by reading a few decent books.

Try Lynda.com. There is a monthly fee of 25.00 but it is unlimited access. There is a series by Ben Long that has really helped.

Try Lynda.com. There is a monthly fee of 25.00 but it is unlimited access. There is a series by Ben Long that has really helped.

Yeah, that or Kelbytraining.com has some great stuff too.

The usual problem with an on-line course is that it's mostly just information and requires a lot of initiative on your part. Some of the offer some guidance and feedback, but it's still reliant on you following though. I'm sure it works for some people, but I'd bet that most in-line courses don't get finished....even if they have been paid for.

As mentioned, practically all the information is available, for free, in the form of articles, tutorials, forums etc.

Don't forget about books.

But an actual in-person class is, for most people, the best way to learn. I teach such classes and I've had several people tell me that they learned more in 12 hours of class, than from years of books and on-line reading etc.

So that would be my suggestion, look for night classes or something like that. It doesn't have to be a whole semester long....10-20 hours of good solid class time should be enough to give you a really good start.

The usual problem with an on-line course is that it's mostly just information and requires a lot of initiative on your part. Some of the offer some guidance and feedback, but it's still reliant on you following though. I'm sure it works for some people, but I'd bet that most in-line courses don't get finished....even if they have been paid for.

Yep, exactly my case. I enrolled in some online photo "school" through Groupon for the hell of it for like 27 bucks... it took me about 15 minutes until I realized I was going to abandon it completely... it was.. awful... and they usually charge $100! Ouch for the person that paid full price.

OP - there are plenty of great sources if you're willing to learn without receiving a grade.

Forums are not a great place to learn photography because you can't tell the bad advice from the good, and much if not most of it is bad. Most online courses are inexpensive. KelbyTraining.com offers a selection of videos for just $25 a month, no contract, but I'd caution much of the content is for photographers who already have a solid skill set and are looking to advance in a particular area. Look for classes, workshops or seminars in your area. They're typically no more than a couple hundred dollars. The basics of photography are pretty easy to find for free. The principles are not really secret, and the problem with books is many show you the way of the author, which is not always the way that works best for you. Learn the principles and then practice applying them. Once you have a foundation, then pay for more advanced training.

I want learn online portrait course. Does any one have any idea about where to get those course.

I would skip anything paid, other than in person workshops or advanced video lessons such as Mark Wallace, Creative Live, or the many others. There is an abundance of photography education, hold the tests, online for your consumption. Join a local Meetup.com group and network with some locals just like yourself. My experience has been a mixed bag from meetings where everyond ended up being a bit older than me (and I'm 30), to meetups drinking coffee with above said Mr Wallace and and some younger togs. But one thing that has been consistent is photographers love to talk and share.

PPSOP is a big one too. Just be carefull never to need customer service. I took Time Lapse, but couldn't get a remote that would work with my older camera (didn't that could be an issue). Now, I couldn't do the course (doah), but because I was past their warranty date they wouldn't even let me get a credit for another class. 200$ down the drain.

Any good video training course ? am looking for tutorials :S

Creativelive.com has ALL of its courses on sale through the end of this year. They have some excellent 2- and 3-day courses available as digital downloads.

Go take pictures. Post them here and let everyone berate you. Then you will get pissed off and discouraged and in a rage you will practice like crazy to make something acceptable and read vigorously how to do so in the process.

Honestly you could learn just about everything you would ever need to know right off this forum.
As for the first part, you guys didn't get rid of me yet. There's still time. :lol:

As for the second part, there is some VERY good information in the beginners' forum, including a thread full of tutorials. That's been massively helpful.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back