Online Store Set-Up Question

creative_one

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Everyone,
How to i go about setting up an online store on my website selling my photographs?

Thanks

There are many applications for building a store/check out on your website. Also, a lot of people like to use websites like Smugmug as their on-line store.

Personally, I use something called Photocart. Quite a few other photographers I know, use it as well. It's an application that you buy and load onto your website. I like that is resides right on my site, so I don't have to send customers to another site. It's very customizable and has a ton of features.
With something like this, the application takes care of the galleries, client info and handles the check out etc. but you still have to print the images and take care of shipping. Some of the website options will take care of printing and shipping for you, but they also take a commission from every sale. If you have the time to do it yourself, you can keep all the profits but if you are rather busy, paying the commission to outsource the printing & shipping might be a good idea.

Listen to Big Mike. Ive been on here long enough to tell that he knows his stuff.

There are many applications for building a store/check out on your website. Also, a lot of people like to use websites like Smugmug as their on-line store.

Personally, I use something called Photocart. Quite a few other photographers I know, use it as well. It's an application that you buy and load onto your website. I like that is resides right on my site, so I don't have to send customers to another site. It's very customizable and has a ton of features.
With something like this, the application takes care of the galleries, client info and handles the check out etc. but you still have to print the images and take care of shipping. Some of the website options will take care of printing and shipping for you, but they also take a commission from every sale. If you have the time to do it yourself, you can keep all the profits but if you are rather busy, paying the commission to outsource the printing & shipping might be a good idea.
What are some other sites that you would recommend besides Smugmug?

What's wrong with SmugMug?

Every site has commission. 15% is quite low enough. Hosting is cheap.

On the other hand, there's Zenfolio, etc.

Do you already have your own website or photoblog? If so, take a look at Fotomoto (disclaimer: work there).

A lot of the other photographers I deal with also use the following:
Smugmug
Imagekind
Redbubble

Some people even sell on sites like Etsy or eBay.

Nearly every service is going to charge a commission to cover fulfillment costs and the like, but this is going to save you time from having to fulfill each order on your own.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back