Open letter to a few people here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, it could be worse. You could be at Dgrin where literally nobody comments on newcomers' posts, and when they do it's scathing or just lame.

But if you're a regular, you could vomit on your sensor and you'd get compliments.

Forum culture is weird and really brings forth humanity's worst qualities .

Schwetty, you silly sod. You should know that these types of threads serve no practical purpose. Pull up your boot straps. Are the girls thinning your skin? Or have the boys shriveled to the size of pistachios? You are better than this, or at least I thought. Your style of people photography is not necessarily one that I try to emulate, but your results are quite palatable. Keep posting photos, keep contributing to threads and keep trying (as hard as it comes to you) to have a laugh.

The second is that people are always looking for a way to 'get' someone else, to pop into a thread with nothing substantive to add but only to shoot down someone else.
The third is the constant diversion of what are serious discussions with funny intentionally distracting comments.

I don't want this to go without attention.

Some people here seem not either to realize or not to care that what they are doing when they purposefully take a thread off track is really disrespectful of the original poster and those who actually do want to stay on topic.

Their remarks may be humorous in the short run but very quickly that gets old and it is disruptive to anyone trying to get real answers or participate in an actual discussion.
And it certainly gives a lousy impression of the site.

Well Lew I would suggest the solution is very simple. If you want others to respect you then start treating them with a little respect yourself. I think you would find that would go a very long way indeed.
Dude, Lew has nothing but respect for those that deserve it. When I first joined TPF (digital newbie and a long hiatus from film), Lew (under the Mother Teresa avatar) was one of the top three personalities on TPF that I simultaneously cringed at and hoped for to comment on one of my photos posted for C&C.

Hertz, if you're out there somewhere, you still top the list.

I have actually learned more from Lew by reading his posts and viewing his photos than most of the self-professed pundits of photographic knowledge. His latest "DC at noon" is a prime example of a good shot. It raised an emotion in me..... a wicked little side grin is an emotion isn't it?

Schwetty, I've been AWOL for a few months and nobody gives a $h!+ about me either. I haven't been able to lift my cameras in more than six months. Seven years on this forum and nothing. I guess I don't clique well either. Phuque 'em.

Schwetty, you silly sod. You should know that these types of threads serve no practical purpose. Pull up your boot straps. Are the girls thinning your skin? Or have the boys shriveled to the size of pistachios? You are better than this, or at least I thought. Your style of people photography is not necessarily one that I try to emulate, but your results are quite palatable. Keep posting photos, keep contributing to threads and keep trying (as hard as it comes to you) to have a laugh.

I don't want this to go without attention.

Some people here seem not either to realize or not to care that what they are doing when they purposefully take a thread off track is really disrespectful of the original poster and those who actually do want to stay on topic.

Their remarks may be humorous in the short run but very quickly that gets old and it is disruptive to anyone trying to get real answers or participate in an actual discussion.
And it certainly gives a lousy impression of the site.

Well Lew I would suggest the solution is very simple. If you want others to respect you then start treating them with a little respect yourself. I think you would find that would go a very long way indeed.
Dude, Lew has nothing but respect for those that deserve it. When I first joined TPF (digital newbie and a long hiatus from film), Lew (under the Mother Teresa avatar) was one of the top three personalities on TPF that I simultaneously cringed at and hoped for to comment on one of my photos posted for C&C.

Hertz, if you're out there somewhere, you still top the list.

I have actually learned more from Lew by reading his posts and viewing his photos than most of the self-professed pundits of photographic knowledge. His latest "DC at noon" is a prime example of a good shot. It raised an emotion in me..... a wicked little side grin is an emotion isn't it?

Schwetty, I've been AWOL for a few months and nobody gives a $h!+ about me either. I haven't been able to lift my cameras in more than six months. Seven years on this forum and nothing. I guess I don't clique well either. Phuque 'em.

Well sorry but in all honesty that hasn't been a lot of people's experience with Lew, and it certainly hasn't been observed in his recent behavior. Of course the little caveat you've included about "those who deserve it" is rather interesting. I do respect Lew's photographic skills, but I'd be lying my butt off if I tried to claim that he treats others with respect even including the "those who deserve it" caveat. As far as I can tell the only people who seem to "deserve" it are those that agree with everything he says and posts.

Anyone who disagrees is met with scorn, derision, or has whatever they posted dismissed and not actually discussed. I can post example after example after example of it, and you can find it easily enough just by looking back through the threads here for the last month or two. It's pretty glaringly obvious. I can also post example after example after example of how Lew can be just downright nasty to new folks, whether they are asking for C&C or asking for advice on starting out as a professional photographer.

I will give Lew some kudos on the last two however, in that he has seemed to improve somewhat in this regard - but again to be honest that improvement isn't that he's being nicer to these people, just that he''s refraining from comment a lot more. But still in the interest of fairness I think that it should be noted that he does seem to at least be making a small effort in this regard.

So I guess my thought on this would be if Lew really wants to chastise others for their behavior, maybe he should start by examining his own first. Personally I think that's pretty good advice for anyone, not just Lew.

I can find posts where you have been a prick.

You can search for post where I have been a complete a$$hole.

Lew can cause excessive bleeding.

It all levels out. Lew can be somewhat abrasive at times. I have a tendency to fly off the cuff. You're still a prick.

:biggrin:

Can't even lift your tiny little MFT camera? What happened to you? I did think about you. I hope nothing serious.

Oh... This thread does work. Somebody probably pmed you and said, "OMG K.. You got to see Schwetty whine again". Bam.. You are back on TPF to reply to my post.

I can find posts where you have been a prick.

I doubt that would be all that difficult really. I can be on many an occasion. Though to my credit I've tried to do it less in recent months because I did examine my own behavior in this regard and found it unacceptable. So I am making a concerted effort to change - but hey, I'm only human.

Difference being, I didn't jump on the forum and post a rant chastising other people for their behavior and then decrying them for showing a lack of respect. Lew did. If he doesn't want that to be a topic of discussion, then he shouldn't bring it up.

It all levels out. Lew can be somewhat abrasive at times. I have a tendency to fly off the cuff. You're still a prick.
:biggrin:

Lol.. well nice to see that you decided not to be childish about the whole thing.

Last edited:

When someone does something to earn respect, they get it from me.
When they constantly act otherwise, I feel otherwise.

So are we gonna make this thread a "let's list the *******s" thread now? :lol: I think the only way to make that constructive is for the people who are *******s to self-nominate. No pointing fingers please.

So we have (self-added)...

- kundalini
- robbins

I'll add myself to that list.

Come one now. You know who you are. Stand up tall and proud!

So are we gonna make this thread a "let's list the *******s" thread now? :lol: I think the only way to make that constructive is for the people who are *******s to self-nominate. No pointing fingers please.

So we have (self-added)...

- kundalini
- robbins

I'll add myself to that list.

Come one now. You know who you are. Stand up tall and proud!

Could always have a TPF Prick of the Month Nomination/Voting thread .... Identify threads and have some Voting to make it more interesting. lol

So are we gonna make this thread a "let's list the *******s" thread now? :lol: I think the only way to make that constructive is for the people who are *******s to self-nominate. No pointing fingers please. So we have (self-added)... - kundalini - robbins I'll add myself to that list. Come one now. You know who you are. Stand up tall and proud!

You first. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back