Opening my photography site - domain name?

ecnal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lancewilkinson.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know it's important to pick a good domain name. One that's easy, simple and not too confusing.

I've had lancewilkinson for a while now. I've thought about something with either part of my name and 'photo' or 'photography' in it, but it seems too long and I feel like it's kind of generic. I dunno.

Do you think lancewilkinson.com is too confusing or hard to spell? Should I just use that?

If you have an opinion, please let me know!

Thanks!

I think it's perfect myself...

If advertising you can always make it easier to read by doing something like this:
LanceWilkinson.com

I'm on the fence. If you include photography in the domain name, you'll get SEO value built in. I'm also not sure if I could remember your web site without a business card. If you've already got your client base built up though, I'd stick with what you've got.

Lance Photography

Lance Photo

LWPhoto

Wilkinson Photo

Wilkinson Photography

I don't think any of those would be too hard to remember.

I think your name would be just fine but I aslo think that adding photography on the end would possibly increase your search base. I added photography to the end of my name and I don't think it's too long. I would have just used my last name but it was already taken.

It seems like everyone uses their names for their photography business. Joe Smith Photography, Jack Adams photography, what ever happened to creative names? Is there a real point to so many people using their names? I mean, is there a benefit by having customers become familiar with your own name in connection with your photography skills rather than a creative name that still is directly linked to your own name if they look into it at all? I decided to use a more creative name, but wonder if there would be unforseen rewards of using your own name as a front to your business. I suppose people who accidentally stumble upon it may say, "Hey, I know that guy!" but is that all? I'm honestly asking... those who may have experience with this... what do you think?

I would rather just delete my post, then partake in anymore of this. I am sorry to the OP for this taking away from your original post.

Last edited:
I want my name to be associated with quality work.

Well no offence dude but perhaps you should hold off on having a website that associates your name with photogrpahy until you can produce some quality work.

Where I am from, people who use creative names for their business, take pictures like these and then actually sell them to people.

n614618225_2457172_4223303.jpg

I'm assuming those pictures you posted are in reference to your above statement, and not representative of your own skill as fokker understood it. If that's the case, I think you're painting the subject with an awfully broad stroke. When I asked for experienced opinions, I was hoping for more rational and substantiated thoughts.

Edit

Last edited:
I'm assuming those pictures you posted are in reference to your above statement, and not representative of your own skill as fokker understood it. If that's the case, I think you're painting the subject with an awfully broad stroke. When I asked for experienced opinions, I was hoping for more rational and substantiated thoughts.

No no, I understood what he meant - I am referring to the photos on his website, which are decidedly average (although thankfully not as bad as the two posted examples).

Sorry eric - not trying to sound like a dick but given your statement about quality work I feel obliged to point this out, as it seems like you want to become a professional photographer. I don't think you're quite there yet and it might be a good idea to not get your name out there too soon, if you catch my drift.

No no, I understood what he meant - I am referring to the photos on his website, which are decidedly average (although thankfully not as bad as the two posted examples).

Sorry eric - not trying to sound like a dick but given your statement about quality work I feel obliged to point this out, as it seems like you want to become a professional photographer. I don't think you're quite there yet and it might be a good idea to not get your name out there too soon, if you catch my drift.

I understand what you are saying fokker. I am in the preliminary stages of getting my own website, business cards, etc.

Some of us want to do this because we have family members, friends, acquaintances, strangers, etc. who wish to see the photos we take of them at parties, dinners, sporting events, etc. While other photographers (of various skill levels) can see the average qualities inherent in a beginner's work, family members and friends usually rave (at least I've found this to be the case). Are these people not our audience? Are these not the people we care about the most?

It is a lot easier to hand them a business card that says "Lucky'sCrappyPhotos.com" than to say,"Well, if I have time I'll put them on a cd."

I'd also rather have something a little more polished than flickr or photobucket.

So let's not begrudge young master Wilkinson or Mr. Holmes for their enthusiasm.
:cheers:

Most reactions

Back