Opinions On Camera Lens Combo

Calypso b

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,

My rebel finally crashed. I had been saving for the 5d mkii and decided to go for it. The original plan was to save up until I had enough for a great lens to go along with it but that isn't gonna happen right away. These are the lenses I have (not great I know but they did the job when i had the rebel)

canon 50mm 1.8
canon 100mm 2.8 macro
tamron 75 -300mm 4-5.6
tamron 28 -75mm 3.5-5.6

I was thinking of adding the Canon 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM. What do you think? What is a good affordable lens for the markii while I save up for the 24-70 2.8? I do a lot of portraits.

The 50 and the 100 macro are decent enough.

The 100 macro is an outstanding lens and should work GREAT on the 5d. I wouldnt buy the 28-135 its a waste IMO. I would save for the 24-105L or you can get the 17-40L fairly cheap but may be too wide on the 5d for you. Also the 85 1.8 is another cheap but very good Canon lens.

Maybe even consider the 70-200 f4. I've heard a lot of good things about that lens, and the price isn't outrageous. My wife LOVES the 24-70 for portraiture, but it's not a fit for every photographer. Everybody has a different style, so everybody has different lens choices.

I dont know much of canons, but I would say what you have would be good enough to easily get you by.

Don't get the 28-135, it's a dogsh*t lens, i've used it on a vanilla 5D and even on the 12MP it was bad.

Hi , I am a newby to the forum but have been around a while. You have interests in portraiture. Look at the lenses you have. The 100mm macro is also a superb portrait lens. The 75-300 tamron should also fit the bill. The 50mm will give excellent results but is not too good for portraits on full frame.
Getting the 28-135 just duplicates what you have.
I use the 24-105 as my standard lens on the 5d mk2 and it would be worth saving for, then selling the shorter tamron and possibly the 50mm on ebay.
My personal rule with all equipment is to look at what I want to do, see if I already have it, then just buy as needed. If I upgrade or duplicate I sell it. Lenses do not like being left to gather dust and seize up.
Good luck
Phil

thank guys! I guess I am just looking for a faster zoom lens so that I don't have to change it so often.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back