opinions on camera

vinniemac3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hey im new to this site and currently just have a few point n shoots but am looking to buy a digital slr. i currently have no photography experience but am hoping to learn and have ordered some books. im currently looking at 2 cameras: the nikon d5000 and the canon t1i. i went to the store and liked the way the canon felt a lil more then the nikon. unfortunately the nikon wasnt working so i really couldnt mess with it. i was wondering from the members on here what the best camera for a beginner like myself would be and if there are any known problems with either. i remember reading something about something shorting out with the d5000 but am unsure if it is a common problem. thank you for your help in advance its greatly appreciated.

Don't limit yourself to just those two brands. Other manufacturers make fine entry level cameras too. Check them all out, and form your opinion that way.

I think if you do a search on a search string like "Nikon D5000 vs Canon T1i" that there will be a number of threads that come back with boatloads of information on each camera. The thread topic itself comes up about twice to three times per week I think, and some really good discussions on the D5000 vs T1i have happened within the last few months.

You should also consider used cameras. Sometimes it's a better choice to go with an older camera thats closer to a pro level then an entry level new camera.

For example, you can buy a used d200 for the price of a new d5000. There are pros an cons to both. The image quality of the d5000 sensor is a bit better, but the build quality and lens selection of the d200 is out of this world compared to the d5000. The d200 can use nearly every lens nikon's ever made, whereas the d5000 is FAR more limited.

In Nikon's camera lineup the camera that is directly comparable, feature wise, to the T1i is the D90, not the D5000.

Fortunately, you probably won't want to use nearly every lens Nikon has has ever made, but the more modern ones that have an auto focus motor in them work well on a D5000.

Certainly, Nikon currently makes a full range of lenses that are fully functional on a D5000. The D5000 has better image quality, color depth, dynamic range and ISO performance than a D200 which was first released over 4 years ago (11/1/05).

I have a D200 and it's a good camera. However my D90 (same image sensor that is in the D5000) has easily noticable better image quality.

So, if a vast pool of lens choice's, rather than image quality, is why you're considering buying a digital SLR, be sure and consider a used D200.

In Nikon's camera lineup the camera that is directly comparable, feature wise, to the T1i is the D90, not the D5000.

Fortunately, you probably won't want to use nearly every lens Nikon has has ever made, but the more modern ones that have an auto focus motor in them work well on a D5000.

Certainly, Nikon currently makes a full range of lenses that are fully functional on a D5000. The D5000 has better image quality, color depth, dynamic range and ISO performance than a D200 which was first released over 4 years ago (11/1/05).

I have a D200 and it's a good camera. However my D90 (same image sensor that is in the D5000) has easily noticable better image quality.

So, if a vast pool of lens choice's, rather than image quality, is why you're considering buying a digital SLR, be sure and consider a used D200.

Of course if you can afford modern pro-level afs lenses, they're fantastic. But, the lack of an AF motor in the d5000 severely limits your lens choices--afs lenses are expensive, the difference in price for one lens would allow you to upgrade to a d90.

The optical quality of a high-end af lens is just as good as a newer afs lens, the focus will just be a little slower.

Compatibility with manual focus ais lenses is less critical, but it can save you $$ when covering niche areas like macro and wide angle, where autofocus is next to useless.

Just research your options, I can't count the time someone i know has bought a afs only camera body and regretted it when it came time to add more lenses.

One advantage of nikon is that it offers a number of lenses that are not so high in price. Well, still it depends with your taste.:drool:

All current Canon lens work flawlessly on the Rebel series. Not so with Nikon. In fact, for a few bucks you can by a cheap adapter and use all of Nikons lenses on the Canon body as well (manually of coarse).

Well, there is that rumor that owning a Nikon will improve your sex life.

It's true! Long before my current marrage I went down to Daytona Beach with a buddy of mine. I took my Minolta SRT 101 with the 50mm f/1.7 and he had a Nikon F with the 80-200mm zoom. It was noticeable from the start but I tested and I got 4 times the phone numbers when carrying the Nikon as I did when I carried my Minolta. (it might have been that big honking lens tough. ;))

Of course if you can afford modern pro-level afs lenses......
Nikon offers a very nice selection of consumer grade AF-S lenses.

True, but the point I was making was: these consumer level af-s lenses don't have nearly the optical quality or speed of pro-grade AF lenses, yet cost nearly as much.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back