Opinions on Nikon D3000 as a Starter DSLR

NCAFLeo88

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys...Brand new member here....wanting to get you guys' opinion on the Nikon D3000 as a Starter DSLR for someone interested in getting into/learning more about photography. I found a really sweet deal on it and am thinking about getting it soon.

Thanks guys!!

I think it is a great little camera. It is what I have.
However, now that I am into this more, I wish I would have saved up more and just sprung for the D90 or better, or even a used D300.

i chose the D3000 as my first camera, I have had it for close to a year now and im still trying to learn how to use all the manul features properly. its a great beginner camera that takes great pictures. though im sure you can find just as capable cameras in the cannon group as well.

The D3000 is a great entry level DSLR.
10.2MP's, 3fps. 11-AF points.. Another pro for entry-level SLR photographers is that this camera has a "GUIDE" mode which kind of guides you on how to step up your aperture and/or shutter speed to what you are planning on shooting.

BUT! Do your research first and INVEST time and MONEY into a DSLR that will be worth keeping in the FAR future.

Learn from me because this is what did.. I bought the Nikon D3000, wasn't satisfied due to lack of speed i needed, returned it to the store and got the D5000. Learned ONLY after, that the d5000 didn't have the in-body focus motor so i sold it and just recently got the D90....If ONLY i knew how great this camera was before, this would've been in my hands at the start.

Like my co-worker told me a loooong time ago.. "if you are buying your first DSLR..go BIG or GO HOME, because the cheap stuff won't cut it in the future"

BUT like i said..do your research. and like Babs said, you can't go wrong with NIKON or CANON as your first DSLR. Good Luck

d3000 here. Takes good shots, but like others, I kind of wish I would have saved for a d90 or something with an internal focus motor.

Check some of my threads, I posted many examples of what the d3000 is capable of

d3000 here. Takes good shots, but like others, I kind of wish I would have saved for a d90 or something with an internal focus motor.
Why do you believe you need an internal focus motor? Most of the lenses that need it, are not inexpensive.

Below in the bullet list are the prices shown on Nikon USA's web site for their current AF lenses (no focus motor in the lens). The way it breaks down is:

under $200 - 2 lenses $200-$300 - 1 lens
$300-$400 - 3 lenses
$400-$500 - 1 lens
$500-$600 - 1 lens
$600-$700 - 2 lenses
$700-$800 - 2 lenses
$800-$900 - none
$900-$1000 - 1 lens
over $1000 - 6 lens

That's 12 lenses over $500 and 7 under $500.
  • $774.95
  • $1894.95
  • $999.95
  • $624.95
  • $394.95
  • $289.95
  • $389.95
  • $369.95
  • $134.95
  • $1359.95
  • $489.94
  • $1199.95
  • $1004.95
  • $669.95
  • $744.95
  • $172.95
  • $1224.95
  • $1849.95
  • $519.95
  • $1794.95
You can see for yourself here: Camera Lenses from Nikon

I think it is a great little camera. It is what I have.
However, now that I am into this more, I wish I would have saved up more and just sprung for the D90 or better, or even a used D300.

Yeah I have a D40 and while it does the job just fine for me and is a great camera I wish I would have saved up a little bit more for a D90. If you really dont want to spend that much on a camera the D3000 will get you started though.

I don't mind the fact that it does not have an internal focus motor at all, there are plenty of lenses to choose from still. I just wish I had the better sensor so I could get bigger prints and have better ISO performance.

D3000 = entry-level Nikon D-SLR...

......I just wish I had the better sensor so I could get bigger prints......
How big do you need prints to be?

Using the D3000 can have prints made as big as a roadside billboard.

The D3000 makes images that have pixel dimensions of 3872 x 2592 pixels.

C-prints made from the D3000 at 100 ppi would be 38.72 inches by 25.92 inches.

Why do you believe you need an internal focus motor? Most of the lenses that need it, are not inexpensive.

It's not that I 'need' an internal focus motor, but it would be a nice edition to the other specs that are better with a d90. It's not the only reason I'd want a d90 lol.

The internal motor would be helpful with older nikon lenses that won't autofocus on mine, along with some 3rd party lenses (specifically the Tokina 11-16).

It's not that I 'need' an internal focus motor, but it would be a nice edition to the other specs that are better with a d90. It's not the only reason I'd want a d90 lol.

The internal motor would be helpful with older nikon lenses that won't autofocus on mine, along with some 3rd party lenses (specifically the Tokina 11-16).

sounds like your skilled and knowledgeable enough to maybe be beyond a starter level camera in general.

The D3000 is a great entry level DSLR.
10.2MP's, 3fps. 11-AF points.. Another pro for entry-level SLR photographers is that this camera has a "GUIDE" mode which kind of guides you on how to step up your aperture and/or shutter speed to what you are planning on shooting.

BUT! Do your research first and INVEST time and MONEY into a DSLR that will be worth keeping in the FAR future.

Learn from me because this is what did.. I bought the Nikon D3000, wasn't satisfied due to lack of speed i needed, returned it to the store and got the D5000. Learned ONLY after, that the d5000 didn't have the in-body focus motor so i sold it and just recently got the D90....If ONLY i knew how great this camera was before, this would've been in my hands at the start.

Like my co-worker told me a loooong time ago.. "if you are buying your first DSLR..go BIG or GO HOME, because the cheap stuff won't cut it in the future"

BUT like i said..do your research. and like Babs said, you can't go wrong with NIKON or CANON as your first DSLR. Good Luck

For a beginner, "go big, or go home" is a BAD advice. The majority of them picks up the hobby on a whim, and once they discover the truth about time and investment it takes to truly take a good picture, they will tune out, put everything on the "green" mode or stick that big piece of hardware in the closet all together and buy a point and shoot.

A cheap but decent DSLR is the way to go, if you are just "exploring" the possibilities.

Thanks everyone. Hope I can get this in the next week or two and get some pix on here.

yes. You can't go wrong with just about any entry level camera even a used one of an older model. I still have my d50 a backup and faster flash sync speeds.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back