opinions on show

12sndsgood

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.square1photography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, so I have been doing a lot more automotive photography this year and I am thinking of getting a vendor booth at our local indoor winter carshow. I will have 4-500 cars there which 75% of them will be in my direct market, as well as foot traffic in the 30-50K for a 3 day weekend. If I can book two shoots from the show I can probalby cover costs of the vendor space, I normally enter my car every year so i'm used to being there and what goes on. There was a photo business guy there last year, I never found out if he did any good. Most of his stuff was HDR and it was decent (I felt he was going to far because there was obvious halos around the car from pushing it in post but I felt I was at or a little above his level.) his setup had smaller photos, a lot of 8x10 stuff. I feel if I want people attention I want to go bigger, not to mention I'd rather sell one large print versus 3 smaller prints. So I am having a large 24x36 print done and a bunch of 11x14 and 12x18. i'm going to frame everything to give it a more finished look, going for more of an upscale approach compared to what I assume would be my competitor. I have a nice 24x36 logo of my business that a buddy of mine did with a piece of metal on a waterjet. It's pretty neat, fits in with the automotive approach and i plan on slipping some scuffed plexi behind it and lighting that with some light up led or strip lights. I'm thinking my busines cards, maybe some flyers people can take with them and then being that it is winter offering a show speacial where i nock say 30% off a photoshoot if they book at the show (maybe just have them put down a $50 deposit) sorry just sort of working things out here as I type. my site has half off large prints and the local store has half off frames right now until tomorrow so kind of jumping on this early. Have wanted to get some of my auto stuff printed out for my den to show customers. (If you have any sugestions on this that would be great, Ive never done a show before so this is another new step for me.)

Okay after that long paragraph here is the actual question. Most of the prints i'm having done are from my recent shoots. I also have some photos from the show from a few years past. pretty decent shots of a few of the other high end display cars, so the question, those were just shots I took at the show, it wasn't a paid shoot, it was just me as a spectaor so to speak. Should I print out a few of those to have on display in hope of people coming by, seeing there car or a car they know and creating interest, or should I leave those out because there was no release or paid shoot done. Not sure if it would give people the impression that I did paid shoots for these people or wether they will care. or wether it is an issue at all.

I would have my best work on display. Period. (Have you looked into metal prints? They are freakin' gorgeous and would work well for automotive shots IMO). I'm not knowledgable enough on US law to comment on the aspect of selling such images ('though I don't think it would be an issue), but ceratinly, I can see no issue with having them on display, and who cares if they were paid or not, they're you're work, they demonstrate your skill level.

My main intent won't be on selling prints, My intent will be to 1. help put my name out there and show off the work I can do and 2. to generate a few photoshoots to pay for the event and help grow the business.

I have been wanting to get a good metal print done. I'm likely going to order a nice one of those and then just a canvas print as well to show people a few options of what is available.

I guess my worries come from being in the car world. A lot of times shady companies will steal people images of there cars to use on there advertising and things like that. I just don't want someone to get that same type impression, just wasn't sure with it being photography wether someone would get that impression or not. It may be nothing but I tend to try and think of the worst scenario with things.

I would have my best work on display. Period. (Have you looked into metal prints? They are freakin' gorgeous and would work well for automotive shots IMO). I'm not knowledgable enough on US law to comment on the aspect of selling such images ('though I don't think it would be an issue), but ceratinly, I can see no issue with having them on display, and who cares if they were paid or not, they're you're work, they demonstrate your skill level.

The metal prints are hot. ive seen some of those that Theographics did.

Rent a big ass TV screen an have your images playing on a loop.

Tv is an option but that will also mean renting electric which is likely $100. we will see.

Booth babes out of the question then?

Tv is an option but that will also mean renting electric which is likely $100. we will see.

Booth babes out of the question then?

lol nooo, was thinking about that earlier because I know a lot of girls that do that. just depends on how good i am at persuding them to work cheaply for me lol.

Most reactions

Back