Opinions on Upgrading requested!

Wfpinky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
While talking with a fellow budding photographer friend, whom I shot a small wedding with in June, she mentioned she had started saving up for a full frame Canon (I'm a Nikon girl, myself) and it got me thinking about doing the same since I want to grow as a photographer.
So I have a few questions for you wonderful souls:
Since I currently have a cropped sensor Nikon, does that mean I'll have to get all new lenses if I go full-frame? I seem to remember reading about that and if that's the case I don't want to potentially get any more lenses if I'm just going to have to replace them if I switch.
I tend to do a lot of outdoor night/dimly lit shooting I've noticed, which is one of the reasons I'm considering full-frame. Full-frame usually has less grain with higher ISO shots, correct?

I'm sure this is a loaded question since it has to do with the famous Canon/Nikon debate but if it turns out I do have to get all new lenses when I switch, should I consider going Canon since I basically have to replace my gear anyway?

If anyone has any suggestions about which body I should look into, I'd appreciate it. And one more question, should I just forget the full-frame dream right now and focus on adding new lenses instead? I don't want to be one of those amateur photographers who goes full-frame "just because". I'm kind of thinking in the long run it would be better to go full-frame soon instead of upgrading to a newer cropped sensor body, camera gear is obviously a pricey investment.

Nikon uses the same mount for Fullframe and Crop sensor and their fullframe camera bodies have a "cropped" mode so you can use all the lenses you currently have with a fullframe Nikon camera body. It's Canon which has different mounts.

There is some argument that you might end up wanting to change lenses anyway as the change in the angle of view will alter how you use some lenses a bit; however its a very personal preference thing so you might be fine and find you don't need to change many if any of your current lenses.

Certainly I would advise if you're thinking of a format change to a new sensor size I'd hold off on buying more lenses till you make the change; as you say you want to grow with the format you're going to use rather htan grow for one and potentially have to change for another.

Canon VS Nikon VS anyone else is an endless debate; although at present Nikon seems to have the edge in sensor performance so chances are sticking with Nikon would be your best bet

You haven't said what lenses you already have. Some folks start collecting the lenses that they will "grow into" when they change bodies.

For instance; I have purchased two lenses that will form a "full size" image circle to shoot with on my DX Nikon.

Another thing; you don't have to be in a big hurry to get the full-size lenses, as a new body will mount the DX lenses, only with a bit of vignetting in certain cases. Also; most FX cameras have a "crop mode" so the vignetting issue is no longer an issue.

Furthermore; since upgrading a body will cost a lot, and lens technology doesn't seem to change as fast as body technology, I think it would be fine to start collecting lenses until you've had a chance to save up and do the research on which body to get.

Start looking at the dates of model introduction in addition to everything else so you can be assured you're going after the latest technology.

List current gear and budget for more informed advice

Nikon has the better sensor performance right now, across the board, from APS-C to FX. No need to step down by going to Canon full frame. Nikon lenses have good backward compatibility with their mid- and higher-level camera models being able to shoot with lenses made from 1977 to 2015, both manual focus and autofocusing. Nikon has a number of FX bodies on the market now, as well as some recently discontinued models which are very affordable now.

LENSES are a long-term investment if you buy good ones. There are cheap, moderately priced, high-priced, and extraordinarily high-priced lenses in the Nikon lineup, as well as millions of used lenses. As jaomul says, list your current gear and budget for more informed advice. You might not actually want to or need to go to FF...Nikon's newest APS-C sensor cameras offer extremely capable performance.

Which camera(s) and lens(es) are you currently using? What's your budget for upgrading? I shoot weddings with Nikon D600, D750, and D800. I use some of the older Nikon lenses and even cropped sensor lenses on my full frame cameras. I edit both Canon (5DM3 and 6D) and Nikon (D600, D750, D800) RAW files and the difference is drastic. The Nikon files are much more recoverable and forgiving. I use Nikons because I'm more familiar with the button layout and menu system. :D

You haven't said what lenses you already have. Some folks start collecting the lenses that they will "grow into" when they change bodies.

For instance; I have purchased two lenses that will form a "full size" image circle to shoot with on my DX Nikon.

Another thing; you don't have to be in a big hurry to get the full-size lenses, as a new body will mount the DX lenses, only with a bit of vignetting in certain cases. Also; most FX cameras have a "crop mode" so the vignetting issue is no longer an issue.

Furthermore; since upgrading a body will cost a lot, and lens technology doesn't seem to change as fast as body technology, I think it would be fine to start collecting lenses until you've had a chance to save up and do the research on which body to get.

Start looking at the dates of model introduction in addition to everything else so you can be assured you're going after the latest technology.

Thanks for the tip! Glad to know I won't have to give up the lenses I already have. Currently I have:
Nikon D3200 body
35mm 1.8
18-55mm 3.5-5.6
55-200mm 4-5.6
Plus off-camera flash

The next lens I'm hoping to add to my pack is a 24-70 2.8. When I first got my camera I opted for the 3200 because I "didn't want to get in over my head". I've regretted not starting out with the 5300 to begin with so I don't want to make that mistake again.

List current gear and budget for more informed advice

Nikon D3200 body
35mm 1.8
18-55mm 3.5-5.6
55-200mm 3.5-5.6
Plus off-camera flash

I'm hoping to add a 24-70mm 2.8 to my gear this year. As far as budget goes that's kind of why I was wanting to get suggestions now so I know what I need to be saving for, even if it takes me 6months or so. Thinking about the D750 if I decide to go full frame and that runs about $2,000 new depending on where you look. Definitely not opposed to buying used though.

Nikon has the better sensor performance right now, across the board, from APS-C to FX. No need to step down by going to Canon full frame. Nikon lenses have good backward compatibility with their mid- and higher-level camera models being able to shoot with lenses made from 1977 to 2015, both manual focus and autofocusing. Nikon has a number of FX bodies on the market now, as well as some recently discontinued models which are very affordable now.

LENSES are a long-term investment if you buy good ones. There are cheap, moderately priced, high-priced, and extraordinarily high-priced lenses in the Nikon lineup, as well as millions of used lenses. As jaomul says, list your current gear and budget for more informed advice. You might not actually want to or need to go to FF...Nikon's newest APS-C sensor cameras offer extremely capable performance.

I definitely was leaning more towards sticking with Nikon, especially knowing I don't have to completely replace the lenses I already have. I'm considering the D750 but if I decide to stick with a cropped sensor I'll probably go for the 7200. I didn't even think about going with a recently discontinued FX model, thanks for the suggestion!

Which camera(s) and lens(es) are you currently using? What's your budget for upgrading? I shoot weddings with Nikon D600, D750, and D800. I use some of the older Nikon lenses and even cropped sensor lenses on my full frame cameras. I edit both Canon (5DM3 and 6D) and Nikon (D600, D750, D800) RAW files and the difference is drastic. The Nikon files are much more recoverable and forgiving. I use Nikons because I'm more familiar with the button layout and menu system. :D

Nikon D3200 body
35mm 1.8
18-55mm 3.5-5.6
55-200mm 3.5-5.6
Plus off-camera flash

I'm hoping to add a 24-70mm 2.8 to my gear this year. As far as budget goes that's kind of why I was wanting to get suggestions now so I know what I need to be saving for, even if it takes me 6months or so. Thinking about the D750 if I decide to go full frame and that runs about $2,000 new depending on where you look. Definitely not opposed to buying used though.

I'm definitely thinking I'll stick with Nikon, especially since I now know I won't have to totally replace the gear I already have.

Nikon D3200 body
35mm 1.8
18-55mm 3.5-5.6
55-200mm 3.5-5.6
Plus off-camera flash

I'm definitely thinking I'll stick with Nikon, especially since I now know I won't have to totally replace the gear I already have.

You won't regret going with the D750. I have it and it's a joy to shoot. Also, your 35mm f1.8DX lens has a 95% coverage on full frame cameras. You can basically use it on full frame mode with a bit of vignetting. :D

What are you not happy with?

Are you happy with how the 35 works while attached?

Reactions: Ido
When I first got my camera I opted for the 3200 because I "didn't want to get in over my head". I've regretted not starting out with the 5300 to begin with so I don't want to make that mistake again.
You would have had regret about your initial purchase now even if you bought a D5300. That's just human nature, and it's very common when starting out with photography: at first, we don't really know what we need, and end up getting either something that isn't good enough to save cost, or something that is way over our league to make sure it stays and we may get overwhelmed and frustrated with all the options. I think the former is a much better option, because usually those cameras also make it easier to learn the basics and beyond, and without too much attachment to it as a system it's fairly easy to dump it and get something you know suits you.

I'm with the "Don't rush it" camp. Keep using what you have, learning about photography and your preferences in it, and make an informed upgrade later on. The same goes for lenses: don't buy any lens you're not certain you need, that way you won't have to choose between future-proofing with an FX-covering lens and getting what actually suits your needs now (in focal length; DX-specific lenses will also be smaller and lighter than FX-covering lenses, so that's a side-plus).

If you want to know a little better if you need to step up to a bigger sensor, use your 35mm prime lens wide open in the darkest environment you'll ever want to shoot in without a flash. If you're satisfied with the results, you don't need a bigger/better sensor or faster lenses. If you see just a little bit more noise than you'd like, you could probably mitigate that with a slightly faster lens (f/1.4), but also consider using noise reduction — try the editing software you already use, and also try Nik Dfine and DxO Optics Pro (I think they both have free trial versions, which don't have any limitation other than a time period you're allowed to use it for). If you see major problems with noise, dynamic range and color, then it's definitely a sign you need a bigger/better sensor. Canons will do the 'bigger' part well, but the better … not quite as well as Nikons in the same price range. If you're worried about size, take a look at the Sony α7-series — lenses can be just as big as comparable Canon/Nikon lenses, but there are some smaller ones and the cameras are smaller and lighter.

I use a Micro Four Thirds camera, which has a smaller sensor than that in your D3200, and as such has slightly more noise and less color in low light / high ISO. I don't shoot much in low light,

I went from the D5200 to a D750. Shadow recovery, high ISO performance, the focus system, etc, all great. Only thing I don't like is the tilt screen which wasn't designed well for photography. It sounds like you've got the money, but you want to make an educated choice. Anyways, that's my suggestion.

Ok, so sounds like at the moment most of your lenses are DX - as others have mentioned you can still use them on a full frame, FX body - you'll just have to shoot a little wide and crop or use crop mode on the FX camera. I'm guessing if you do decide to go to FX then you'll most likely want to upgrade to some FX lenses eventually, but it's not something you absolutely have to do right away.

If you find that you really need better low light performance then an FX body might be worth the investment for you - any DX body you choose will have similar lowlight abilities. So if such is the case and you are mindful of your budget I'd probably look at a used D610 or a used D800, both of which are pretty reasonably priced for full frame bodies.

If your lowlight performance is fine but your wanting something "more advanced" than what you have, I'd look at a used D7100 or maybe a new/refurbished 7200. The addition of the second control wheel really does open up a whole new world of possibilities and it really does make taking control of your camera settings truly possible in situations where you don't have time to head into the menus and adjust.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Ido
Being that all but the 35mm lense you have are low end "kit" gear, why not invest in some better glass first? I have a Sigma 17-50 2.8 for my 5200 and it is miles better that the 18-55 that came with it. And this is only a 500'ish dollar lense, I am sure the 24-70 2.8 Nikkor would be even better. Same with the 70-300, much sharper than the "kit" 55-200 I also own.

The 18-55/55-200 combo would in no way do justice to a 610/750 FX body.

As far as making the change to Canon, it may or may not be for you. I really like my 5200 but just bought a Canon 6D last night. The only reason; inheriting some Canon L lenses. I also have played around with a 50D that was also included and did like the layout and handling, although the 6D layout is a bit different. If you had some high end Nikon glass then there would be no reason to change. Based on what you have currently there is no solid reason to not explore a change unless Nikon just feels right to you.

Good luck, its always fun buying new gear!

Nikon D3200 body
35mm 1.8
18-55mm 3.5-5.6
55-200mm 3.5-5.6
Plus off-camera flash

You won't regret going with the D750. I have it and it's a joy to shoot. Also, your 35mm f1.8DX lens has a 95% coverage on full frame cameras. You can basically use it on full frame mode with a bit of vignetting. :D

That's awesome to know, thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back