Opinions Wanted

gracecovenant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have had a Nikon D5200 with 2 kit lenses for a couple of years. Looking ahead 2 years to retirement, I'd like to do some part-time photography to make a little extra spending money (senior pics, portraits, specialty prints like guitars, Americana, and wildlife).

I am thinking I need to upgrade to the D750 or D810...........or should I keep my D5200 body and invest in better glass (I'll need better glass either way).

What do I really need to produce professional quality images?

I have had a Nikon D5200 with 2 kit lenses for a couple of years. Looking ahead 2 years to retirement, I'd like to do some part-time photography to make a little extra spending money (senior pics, portraits, specialty prints like guitars, Americana, and wildlife).

I am thinking I need to upgrade to the D750 or D810...........or should I keep my D5200 body and invest in better glass (I'll need better glass either way).

What do I really need to produce professional quality images?

Skill.

Joe

Skill.

Joe
QFT!!!!!!

You've listed several different genres which require different equipment. Body-wise I would go with 2 D810s, but good glass is critical as well, and professional work often requires the ability to shoot in low light and/or with shallow depth of field. The Nikon Holy Trinity and an 85mm is a good starting point. As well If you're going to get into "people pictures" you're much better off putting a big chunk of your money into lighting.

None of that, or any other gear however is worth a pinch of s*** if you can't use it to its maximum!

The very fact that you're asking these questions means it's just not a good idea. If you want new gear, there's nothing wrong with that.

For pro work, you could get by with lighting equipment, a d750, and a 24-70 f2.8. But really for what you mentioned, a second camera body would be important, a 70-200 f2.8 would be important, and for wildlife you would need a longer lens.

You mentioned wildlife in the same breath as you were talking about making money. Very different business model from portraiture.

So much to say. Seems like you're coming at this like you want to participate in a decathlon of photography. Don't get too caught up dreaming about things... Either don't go pro and enjoy the hobby, or do go pro and get more specific.

Most reactions

Back