Opinions?

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'd love to have some c&c on a few pictures. Haven't had my DSLR too long, and I just want to know how I can improve, so critique away!

These were all taken with a Nikon D5000, standard lens, an AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm.

Suggestions on what lens(es) to buy would be nice too, as I'm thinking on buying a new one in the near future, probably either a macro or a zoom. Unless there's another one that is a considerable must have.

Anyway, onto the pics.

HalloweenWeekend012.jpg

2. (I know the roof off to the side kind of messed this one up.)
HalloweenWeekend075.jpg

FallBreakD062.jpg

Last edited:
As far as a new lens, keep shooting and see what you wish you had. I would tell you that you absolutely must have a 100-400mm. While you might find you continually wish you could go wider. Get what I'm saying'?

As far as a new lens, keep shooting and see what you wish you had. I would tell you that you absolutely must have a 100-400mm. While you might find you continually wish you could go wider. Get what I'm saying'?
I do get what you're saying :).

I'm kind of leaning toward a macro lens, but I've also been thinking I wish I had more zoom capability. My point and shoot I had before my DSLR had 10x zoom and I kind of miss that. So, I'm undecided lol. Thank you for the suggestion though, I'll definitely think about it!

Check out the 55-200mm AF-S VR lens if you are looking for a decent priced zoom lens. I love mine.

Check out the 55-200mm AF-S VR lens if you are looking for a decent priced zoom lens. I love mine.
Yeah, somewhat. I'm kind of trying to stay under $300, which I'm finding more and more difficult as I look at all the available lenses. I found an 18-250mm that I like, but I'll definitely check into the 55-200mm.

Yeah, somewhat. I'm kind of trying to stay under $300, which I'm finding more and more difficult as I look at all the available lenses. I found an 18-250mm that I like, but I'll definitely check into the 55-200mm.
Yeah I think the VR version is like $189 on Amazon brand new so its a pretty good deal.

The 35mm AF-S F/1.8 is around $200 and a very nice lens as well. I use my 55-200mm far more but I guess it depends on what you like to shoot.

Yeah I think the VR version is like $189 on Amazon brand new so its a pretty good deal.
Ah, that's like $100 cheaper than the 18-250 I was looking at.

How close in can you zoom with the 55-200?

On a DX camera 200mm can zoom pretty far.

Check out this lens simulator on nikons site and it will give you a better idea.

NIKKOR Lenses Simulator | Nikon

1 This is a very cute shot, Id get down on her level and dont be afraid of flash, the light is flat

2. ?

3. Is that a portrait of a dog? (beer commercial)
this one is cute and well shot (except for the person behind)

First, a little C&C as requested.

1. Vertical camera orientation for this type of portrait is a good thing. It's hard to tell, but focus seems to be on the hair, slightly behind the plane of the eyes; try to get the eyes in the sharpest focus for portraits. Use of flash, I'm assuming pop-up, caused some unappealing catch lights on the eyes. As far as her pose is concerned, she doesn't appear to be looking at the camera lens and her arm position is a little distracting. The background is a little busy/distracting. Also might try to kneel down to prevent shooting from above her.

2. The roof and the power line are annoying. The sky is beautifully exposed, and the sun peering through the tree leaves looks pretty good. Difficult combination to expose properly, well done. That said, the composition leaves something to be desired.

3. This is a cool snapshot because of the expression of the dog, but seems like a lucky grab rather than a deliberately planned photograph. Not sure how C&C would help in this case.

Remember, as a photographer, you are responsible for both what you include and exclude from the frame...keeping this in mind has helped my photography considerably.

As far as a lens is concerned, BJ hit the nail on the head, so I can't really add much to what he already said. For macro work, you can get a set of extension tubes on the cheap to try out macro photography, so that's one option that won't break the bank, in case you later decide that you should have gotten the telephoto zoom.

On a DX camera 200mm can zoom pretty far.

Check out this lens simulator on nikons site and it will give you a better idea.

NIKKOR Lenses Simulator | Nikon
I found that really neat and helpful. Seems like the 55-200 would be perfect for me. Thank you!

1 This is a very cute shot, Id get down on her level and dont be afraid of flash, the light is flat

2. ?

3. Is that a portrait of a dog? (beer commercial)
this one is cute and well shot (except for the person behind)
Will definitely take those into consideration. I'll squat down and work on my lighting.

It always seems I have distracting background things, haha. I'll try to work on that too. Thank you!

First, a little C&C as requested.

1. Vertical camera orientation for this type of portrait is a good thing. It's hard to tell, but focus seems to be on the hair, slightly behind the plane of the eyes; try to get the eyes in the sharpest focus for portraits. Use of flash, I'm assuming pop-up, caused some unappealing catch lights on the eyes. As far as her pose is concerned, she doesn't appear to be looking at the camera lens and her arm position is a little distracting. The background is a little busy/distracting. Also might try to kneel down to prevent shooting from above her.

2. The roof and the power line are annoying. The sky is beautifully exposed, and the sun peering through the tree leaves looks pretty good. Difficult combination to expose properly, well done. That said, the composition leaves something to be desired.

3. This is a cool snapshot because of the expression of the dog, but seems like a lucky grab rather than a deliberately planned photograph. Not sure how C&C would help in this case.

Remember, as a photographer, you are responsible for both what you include and exclude from the frame...keeping this in mind has helped my photography considerably.

As far as a lens is concerned, BJ hit the nail on the head, so I can't really add much to what he already said. For macro work, you can get a set of extension tubes on the cheap to try out macro photography, so that's one option that won't break the bank, in case you later decide that you should have gotten the telephoto zoom.
Will definitely try to squat next time I take more pictures of her. I believe all of the ones I have of her are like that, so I'll take that into consideration. I'm not really sure what went wrong with the eyes, I think my flash might have been turned off, but maybe not since the catch lights are there. Will definitely make sure it's off next time. I'll also work on less distracting backgrounds.

I think the second one was just kind of doomed. If I had moved right more and somehow got the powerline out of the way it might have been okay, but ah well, it was a good try I guess.

My dog tends to make that face a lot, but it is really hard to capture, so it was definitely a lucky shot.

This may sound like a dumb question, but what's an extension tube?

Thank you for all the help!

This may sound like a dumb question, but what's an extension tube?

Extension tubes decrease the minimum focusing distance of the lens, so you can have your subject in focus while getting much closer to it, thus effectively increasing the apparent magnification ratio of the lens. This doesn't necessarily work so well with living subjects, as you need to get really close to them. You're also likely to cast a shadow over the subject at such a close distance. Macro lenses already allow close focusing, and are available in focal lengths that give you ample "working distance".

I'm not really sure what went wrong with the eyes, I think my flash might have been turned off, but maybe not since the catch lights are there. Will definitely make sure it's off next time. I'll also work on less distracting backgrounds.

According to the EXIF data, the camera was in automatic mode and the flash fired. As you get more comfortable with the camera, why not try making some manual adjustments? I leave mine in aperture priority mode so I can select the aperture I want for a particular shot, and the shutter speed is automatically adjusted to compensate. The ability to adjust parameters like this is where these cameras really shine. Don't be afraid to mess around with them. It can be fun to deliberately use "wacky" settings and see how the picture is affected. Great way to learn (and the "film" is really cheap!).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back