Orchids - please C&C

Raizels

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this before I learned about playing with angles, but I think it works because the orchids do not both face the same way.

For the 2nd time in my life (!) I played around w/ the pp rather than use auto.

img_1576-3.jpg

Im not sure about the composition on this one. I think flowers are hard that way since it is generally a close up so I will let one of the vets remark on that, I will say its out of focus but I like the colors.

I agree with what was stated before, it does look fuzzy. To me it looks like a fake flower. It doesnt have a shine to it. The color seems flat.

I don't know if it is the Kodak Easyshare, its lens and tiny sensor that let your photos appear to be "fuzzy" to the keen eyes of those who love to work with the sharpest and best of lenses. I guess, this IS the sharpness your camera can achieve.

And I appreciate the fact that you took this photo on an overcast day, so you didn't get any distrancting shadows.

Is this your original composition or a cropped version of a frame that looked different originally? If it is a crop, I'd like to see the entire photo.

You could bring out some more highlights in post.

Does GIMP give you a histogramme? It is the representation of light, midtones and shadows in the shape of a mountain (in the ideal case). Ah, before I try to explain too much, here is the histogramme of one of my still "original" photos

histogramme.jpg

The amount of shadows show on the left, my photo is primarily midtones, and lacking in highlights, as toward the right the mountain ends even before it reaches the end of the coordinate system.

I would guess that your histogramm would also show a lack of highlights, and you could add so many that you meet the end of the coordinate system.

It is best never to get steep lines upwards neither to the left (shadows) nor the right (highlights) as that indicates a photo is either severely underexposed (all black shadows), or severely overexposed (all bright highlights, also called "blown highlights").

If GIMP offers you histogrammes, check it out. You might get some more lustre to your orchids.

Thank you for your thoughtful comment! I actually took this one a with my Cannon PowerShot A400, and it was taken in a misty greenhouse.

I do have a histogram on GIMP, I just never fully understood how to work it. I'll read your reply more closely to learn.

It was cropped, but just barely - I cut some earth off the bottom.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back