Ordered a Sigma 50mm 1.4, haters gonna' hate

2WheelPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yeah I ordered it instead of the Nikon 1.4G because its a better lens. Even though I'm a fan of Nikon glass and own a few Trinities, I went with Sigma for the 50 primer.

Its around $100 more than the Nikon, between the BHPHOTO education discount and NAPP discount I got it at a decent deal =)

Yeah I ordered it instead of the Nikon 1.4G because its a better lens. Even though I'm a fan of Nikon glass and own a few Trinities, I went with Sigma for the 50 primer.

Its around $100 more than the Nikon, between the BHPHOTO education discount and NAPP discount I got it at a decent deal =)

Hey.. I like my Sigma 50 1.4.. it makes lovely images! Although I did go for the Nikon 85 1.4 rather than the Sigma 85....

Last edited:
I dont hate sigma but do find 50mm a little odd length for a full frame. I much rather go with 85mm or go wider like 35 or 24. I havent touch my 50mm in ages

I dont hate sigma but do find 50mm a little odd length for a full frame. I much rather go with 85mm or go wider like 35 or 24. I havent touch my 50mm in ages

I agree.. I only use the 50 on my DX body. I got the 85 for when my D4 arrives.

The Sigma is a great chunck of glass. I do like it better than the Nikon version. I do not use the cheap Nikon version that I have enough to get another though...

I actually do not think you will find a particularly large following of haters.

For inside the studio, I'm getting tired of borrowing a 50. More importantly, it will live on my DX back-up body for throw around motorcycle trips and such =)

All I can say is, you are a man with good taste, I adore mine far too much! I'm assuming when you get it you will be providing us with a few samples from the lens, my friend??? Yes?? ;)

Schwettylens said:

So odd that its called "normal." ;)

Schwettylens said:
So odd that its called "normal." ;)
When I shot 35mm that's all I ever used. It's close to the FOV of me eye closed. Now I am seeking a good 35mm lens, but find that 28mm is a bit awkward at 1.6x

I am not kidding about me not have touched my 50mm in ages :p. I rather go beyond 70mm or go a lot wider when I shoot. Personal reference I guess. I consider 50 mm as like in between sizes... just..... 20 more mm and you can use 70-200. I rather just use the 70-200... thats all im saying.

I am not kidding about me not have touched my 50mm in ages :p. I rather go beyond 70mm or go a lot wider when I shoot. Personal reference I guess. I consider 50 mm as like in between sizes... just..... 20 more mm and you can use 70-200. I rather just use the 70-200... thats all im saying.

I have the 24-70 and the 70-200.

Will use the 50mm mostly in the studio, and when I prefer a tiny lens to throw on the back-up body and head out on the motorcycle for a torture ride =)

Dude, if you've ever used a 24-70 for a few hours in the studio (or 70-200) you would know where I'm coming from. After using both 50 and 85 primes inside, I opted for the 50 by a wide margin.

Im about to order sigma 85. Probably place the order tomorrow night.

Actually I just shot that boudoir and had to use my 50mm again due to room restriction. My 90mm macro was too long on most shots while my 35 is too distorted if shot too close.

So why do you prefer 50 over 24-70 for studio work? I feel that on studio work you mostly shoot with smaller aperture anyway and 24-70 nikon is crazy sharp. Just wondering.

Im about to order sigma 85. Probably place the order tomorrow night.

Actually I just shot that boudoir and had to use my 50mm again due to room restriction. My 90mm macro was too long on most shots while my 35 is too distorted if shot too close.

So why do you prefer 50 over 24-70 for studio work? I feel that on studio work you mostly shoot with smaller aperture anyway and 24-70 nikon is crazy sharp. Just wondering.

Actually for studio work we shoot mainly f8-f16ish or the lenses sweet spot. Blowing out a background isn't the priority inside. All the pro's i shoot with including my glamour photographer professor uses that 50, and they all own the 85s and Nikor/canon 24-70s.

You personally..... pit the lenses against each other in the studio and you'll know firsthand why we don't opt the 24-70 I promise =)

The 24-70 will still be my event workhorse, and I'll ALWAYS use the precious 70-200 VRII for outdoor portraiture.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back