Ordered an iPad...but I may change my mind?

myvinyl333

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.livegigshots.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had been looking @ a new laptop to edit my photos when not near my PCs... then I went to MAC, looked @ the Mac Book Pro, but not being as MAC person...too expensive.

So I ordered an iPad 64G with 3g, thinking it could fit in my camera backpack and I could use it to work on my photos.

I did a lot of reading after I ordered and it seems that there is NO editing. And there is no multitasking or Flash. Unfortunately the list goes on...

Anyone have an iPad and like it, let me know, I think I am canceling my order.

Thanks,
jorge:confused:

Sounded like an impulse buy. 829.99 for the ipad you purchased plus 30 bucks a month. You could have gotten a 13" macbook pro for 1199 with no monthly charges. In one year, you would have already gotten to the price of a macbook, should have gone with that ... if you really wanted a mac.

CANCEL HURRY!!!

In order from coolest to square-est

pc with linux - mac - pc with windows - lolworthlessipad

I don't know, I love mine. I have a 64 wifi only but I don't use it for editing. I have a mac book pro and a 27" imac I use for editing and my design work so it just depends on who you are and what you need. I have the Compudaypack that can carry my camera, mac book pro and ipad plus tons of other stuff. There is SOME editing apps for photos but nothing like PS or anything. Flash is not available on ipads or iphones for that matter, that's been a constant since they were introduced.

Those who don't like/want the ipad do not understand the capabilities of it. I absolutely LOVE mine and it does exactly what I need. I can show my work to clients, do SOME editing and love how convenient it is.

The misconception that people are having is that it is not designed to replace the laptop nor netbook. I already have a workstation and a macbook pro. I need something else in my bag that solves zero problems like I need a whole in my head

At almost $900, mac book pro is within reach and enough for a decent specd mac mini

The misconception that people are having is that it is not designed to replace the laptop nor netbook. I already have a workstation and a macbook pro. I need something else in my bag that solves zero problems like I need a whole in my head

At almost $900, mac book pro is within reach and enough for a decent specd mac mini

It wasn't designed to replace the laptop. It's simply a convenience gadget that is easier and simple to use. Instead of pulling out my lap top to show clients my work and slide show, the ipad does exactly what I need and it makes a solid impression. I wouldn't bash it just because you don't think it's useful. It is definitely a must have for myself, but for yourself maybe not.

Don't get me wrong this is NOT something you can use to absolutely replace my MBP. But when I am sitting having coffee and a scone its much easier to use for emails, web browsing, and sharing images instead of the MBP.

I didn't mean to bash it... there's a place for gadget and toys.. and I don't care about lugging around either. For me.. it has to solve a problem or make a task easier.

Switching hats from work or productivity to photography....

Its not an ideal editing platfor for all the reasons mentioned.. Display is not ideal. You need dongles just to attach a card reader.

Now if u need a way to consume web content... sure but its overpriced and not pocketable.

I played with an ipad last week.

It's a pretty fun little device.

Personally i'm not sure how much i would use it,but i'd like to have one with 3G.

I would buy my mom an ipad. All she does on the computer is check email, she can't break it, she can't get lost in it, it's easy to learn, easy to see it's perfect for her.

The on-screen keyboard works way better than it has any right to.

I think it's a step in the right direction, for sure.

The iPad is the ultimate tool for consumption, not creation. I think alot of people have the two confused.

Would I get one? Personally, no. Not unless i have 600 clams burning a hole in my pocket. I just don't really know what i would use it for.

I didn't mean to bash it... there's a place for gadget and toys.. and I don't care about lugging around either. For me.. it has to solve a problem or make a task easier.

Switching hats from work or productivity to photography....

Its not an ideal editing platfor for all the reasons mentioned.. Display is not ideal. You need dongles just to attach a card reader.

Now if u need a way to consume web content... sure but its overpriced and not pocketable.

No worries. Some like it and want it. Some don't see a use for it and don't. Trust me, it's purely a luxury item even if just for web browsing and email is exceptional. It's a building block. The smugmug app is nice if I decide to go with a smugmug app instead of a wordpress theme.

CANCEL HURRY!!!

In order from coolest to square-est

pc with linux - mac - pc with windows - lolworthlessipad

Thanks to all who posted so quickly.

I have canceled my $1,200 order (included Apple Care and accessories)

Ended up talking about my photo work with a Mac Sales rep....

am now looking @ 15" Mac Book Pro @ 1,800 ?

I would use this to take with me when on the road to work on my concert pics.

Going to SLEEP on it.

jorge

As a mac roadie, you cannot go wrong. I have the new monster mac book pro 15" and the 27" imac is in bound. I won't go back. I am using CS4 at the moment but have my free upgrade to CS5 being sent as well.

I think you'll be very happy.

Most reactions

Back