Osprey in Flight

Raindog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My spot is on the island, there is a break where I can sit on a railroad tie facing the intercoastal. It is a very soothing place and has the added bonus of an osprey nest perched atop an old light pole directly across the water.
Mom does a fly-over from time to time, just to see what I'm up to...

DSC4459.jpg

Oh wow, that's amazing. Great Job. No complaints here. The detail on the wings is amazing. What shutter speed what this picture taken with?

Good shot.
However, it looks like you exposed more for the sky than the bird, maybe because osprey are very dark on the outside. A shot with the wings in the "up" position may render a more "balanced" shot. The light probably should have been more frontlit as well, so the bird could be darker. Also, there is significant haloing around the osprey (beak and back area especially), a product of sharpening?
Sorry I am being a bit harsh, but that's what could be inproved. You did a great job of retaining detail in the face & eye area. Then again, getting a picture like I have described would be almost impossible....

vlflab2k3 said:
Good shot.
However, it looks like you exposed more for the sky than the bird, maybe because osprey are very dark on the outside. A shot with the wings in the "up" position may render a more "balanced" shot. The light probably should have been more frontlit as well, so the bird could be darker. Also, there is significant haloing around the osprey (beak and back area especially), a product of sharpening?
Sorry I am being a bit harsh, but that's what could be inproved. You did a great job of retaining detail in the face & eye area. Then again, getting a picture like I have described would be almost impossible....

What! Capturing birds flying does not give you a choice of lighting or wing movement and is often taken on the spur of the moment where there is little time to set up. Harsh, Ya!

I think the capture is great but a little dark on my monitor. IT looks like you had a sunny day with the blue sky in the background but no direct light on the bird. I hate days like that.

Eric

Thanks folks,
Vlflab, as AIRIC stated, I don't control the heavens. The shot was a crop and lightly sharpened, I don't see the "significant haloing" and I put little faith in a critique put forth by one who has yet to post an image.

Most reactions

Back