Other ways to practice my photography skills?

tigidig4x

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys.. I am back again asking for your help. Im an amateur photographer, i always do a photowalk (alone by myself) shooting portraits and landscapes. I wonder what other ways i could practice my skills? Someone said i could do portraits. But how would i do it? I have no models would i just ask people to have a shoot with me? I have really no idea how to do this. I would like to do everything for free. Just for my learning. Please give me some advice on this.. Thanks..

I'm not like other photographers here that they have many friend that are also photographers that's why they don't have a difficulty finding some events and shoots. Help me please. :)

maybe we could also feed you with a spoon. taking portrait of people doesn't have to be complicated, just take photos of your neighbours wife. tell her she's hot.

if you wanna shoot with models, modelmayhem is a good place to start.

Get a bunch of old tires and lay them flat in your yard. Then run through them while trying to take photos.

Get a bunch of old tires and lay them flat in your yard. Then run through them while trying to take photos.

hahaha. with a fully loaded backpack, with some heavy lens and battery packs.

hahaha. with a fully loaded backpack, with some heavy lens and battery packs.

Learn to changes lenses and batteries while blindfolded and hanging upside down.

The amount of trolls in this threat is too damn high.

i always do a photowalk (alone by myself) shooting portraits and landscapes. I wonder what other ways i could practice my skills? Someone said i could do portraits.

Alternatively, you could try portraits.

Or landscapes.

Or still life.

Or candids on the street.

Or abstracts.

Or macro.

Or just use your imagination.

If you can't find anything to photograph it is ONLY because you aren't seeing what is around you. Stop, look, see. The subjects are there, it's you that isn't seeing them.

Here's an exercise, but you have to be honest for it to work:
Walk into a room, any room, it doesn't matter. The FIRST thing that you see in the room is your subject, and that's where you have to be honest. No cheating and picking a different one, you have to use the first thing you see. Now, find an interesting way to photograph it.

The photograph is there. There is NOTHING that can't be photographed and made to look interesting, but YOU as the photographer have to do your job and find the photograph within.

I just put a message on my Facebook asking if anyone wanted to pose for me. The 'model' would get the full resolution digital version of any good shots for free.
Got me quite a few practice subjects. :D :p

The amount of trolls in this threat is too damn high.

I was being serious.

I have an obstacle course set up in my basement that mimics a crowded reception hall. My best time is 2:34 with no missed focuses.

Look at pictures. I don't know what the library situation is where you live, but if you have a public library you can probably get some books of photographs out of it. Look at them. Don't look at random pictures on flickr, or "most interesting" pictures on the web.

Look at portfolios of good pictures from the past, various eras.

In the first place they're better pictures, and in the second place having a portfolio of related pictures (same photographer, same era, whatever) will help you get a better visual sense of what those pictures are about. Then look at a different era, or a different photographer, and get a sense of those.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back