What's new

Out From The Dark

Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Jan 6, 2012
Messages
1,472
Reaction score
855
Location
Mountain View, California
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well I've spent the past two weeks shooting and reshooting leaves for my current project, and I think I finally landed with a shot I'm happy with! Interestingly enough, its center composed, which is something I almost never do.

The assignment: Combine art and science with a photo.
My goal/vision: Use leaves to demonstrate the fusion of art and science in the natural world. In particular, I wanted to present the complexity of the vein structures found in leaves in a visually compelling manner, while giving the leaf some personality or character. In this case, I wanted the subject to feel like it was either A) retreating into the darkness, or B) coming forward into the light depending on who is viewing it. Either way, I wanted it to seem as if its suspended in space. Also, my style has always been to be very up-front with presenting subjects, and I wanted that to be present in the photo as well. Call it a signature or personal touch. Basically whats there is there for a reason, and what isn't, isn't for a reason.

So here you go! My best candidate yet for being used in my final project and ending up in the local gallery. It might help to imagine it framed with a white matte.

Hope you enjoy it and let me know what you think! Your CC makes all the difference! ;)


leafport by TogaLive, on Flickr

Best,

Toga
 
Last edited:
very pleasing to my eyes. :)
btw, I don't see it as it protruding from the darkness, nor retreating from the light. I initially saw it as a leaf but now can only really see it as roots of a tree...
but idk, I kind of like that about it.
I can't stop looking at it!
 
For some reason, I think the plant is sticking its tongue out at me. :greenpbl:


Very nice - the central positioning absolutely works here, since the visual effect is one of symmetry. I really like the visual tromp-d'oeil that the leaf veins also could be the roots of the plant. Do you have any with the rim of the leaf being less prominently lit? I think (and that's personal opinion only) that the bright rim diminishes the luminosity you've achieved in the leaf body.
 
This is a splendid photo. I'm only bothered, however, by the elliptical nature of the image. Something is creating a shadow, but what? Why can't we see the rest of the leaf? What is the cause of this darkness? Conversely, what is the source of light?

"Suspended in space" has always seemed, to me at least, artificial except when actually in outer space (such as in the opening scenes in the film, 2001: A Space Odyssey). Applied as it is here, "suspended in space" leaves me wanting an explanation for this unnatural situation.

Your mention of science is a clue to at least one scenario: that this is a botanical study. As such, pragmatics and structure reign, and I'm less concerned with light sources and shadows.
 
I dont think being center composed is always bad. It worked in this shot thats for sure.
 
Thanks for all the great CC, I definitely didn't expect so much and its a welcome surprise!

The fact that some of you interpreted it in different ways is great, thats exactly what I would hope might happen in the gallery. Similar to what Jaemie experienced, above all else I want to people to wonder and be intrigued.

Really interested in what the rest of TPF thinks! ;)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom