Outer Hebrides Holiday Snaps Pt2

Tim Tucker 2

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I thought I'd save the weakest, the vistas, for Pt3, (yes there are more...).

For Pt2 the little oddities and half-baked ideas I have had in my head and keep trying to capture.

The weather was a mixed bag and apart from a couple of good sunsets was generally a successions of fronts, (or the edges of fronts), that seemed to be timed for the evenings and clearing late in the mornings. While this is a pain because the best light for vistas was in the middle of the day, it also meant that the air was reasonably clear of haze. So I pointed the camera down a little.

I've always had a romantic love of Alexander Mackendrick's "Whisky Galore" and the scenes portraying the beaches and dunes so can often be found fertling around the dunes trying, (and failing), to recreate some of that feeling, rather than reality.

So this is more of a close-up view of my walks along the coast, and as indicated a lot of half formed ideas. ;-)

Last edited:
I really like #6. #1, 2 and 4, because of the aspect I could not fully fit on the screen so can't give a good opinion.

I really enjoy #2. :smile:

I like #1 and #6. I do know what you mean when you say "sometimes something just grabs your attention." Sometimes you just "discover" an image that you couldn't have found if you weren't out walking around. :thumbyo:

WesternGuy

I like them all, but the abstractness of #5 really caught my attention.

Just for fun:
ex-1.jpg

Loving the textures and depth of #2 and #5.

My partner thinks I take too much time exploring them.
On recognising the glee in my eye and the reach for the tripod, with outstretched arm and gentle enquiry,
"have you got the keys?"
She gracefully retires to the camper van and a good book.

@BrentC Sorry about that, I generally find that resizing by whole numbers, (i.e. 25%), preserves the details and textures better than doing it by pixel dimensions.
Thanks @fishing4sanity.

I'm loving 1, 2 and 5. And the rock looks like a person sitting with its leg crossed over. Of course I'm looking at it from my cell phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice Tim. I also find these places facinating and can spend hours just wandering about in the landscape. I really think you've captured the colours and the feeling of the Hebrides really well. I keep meaning to go back to Harris, it's a place I never managed to explore well and Barra is a place I'll be visiting again too.

Very nice Tim. I also find these places facinating and can spend hours just wandering about in the landscape. I really think you've captured the colours and the feeling of the Hebrides really well. I keep meaning to go back to Harris, it's a place I never managed to explore well and Barra is a place I'll be visiting again too.

Go! It's not like The Fairy Pools or Sligachan on Skye, (mind you even when there are a few coach loads of tourists on the old bridge doing their selfies you only need to walk 400 yds up the track to be in complete isolation :)).
It's still quite quiet, you can have whole beaches to yourself.
The downside is that the tourists don't have the knack of driving the single track roads. The missus did the driving last year and dutifully pulled up to allow an oncoming car to pass, so used to driving the single lanes. I laughed, "it's a twin lane stretch of road," I observed, she saw the funny side. ;)

Thanks @jcdeboever.

@annamaria I was seeing some of the shapes of the waves that formed it. :)

Most reactions

Back